Another weird draft for the Bills

jahnyc

The trade for Blesdoe. Taking McGahee instead of Steinbach. Trading up for Losman. Selecting Parrish. Now the selection of Whitner and the trading up for McCargo. There is a pattern here and it has not resulted in success (at least not to this point, I realize we know nothing about how this draft will turn out). Is there a problem with the scouting? Is it the decision makers? Another draft that does not seem to make sense. No o-line again! This really upsets me. Reyes, Fowler, Gandy and Villarail are not the answer. Replacing Williams and Adams with Triplett and McCargo?

Most of all, I still cannot make sense of the first pick for the Bills. Maybe the guy will turn out to be a good player, but will he be better than the qbs and dts that were still on the board? Even if he is a quality player, does it make sense to pay a saftey this kind of money? To have this make any sense, Whitner needs to be the top safety (or one of the top safeties) in the league.

I would think a solid dt (or better), such as Ngata or Bunkley would have made much more sense. Instead, the Bills had to trade up, losing a third, to get a dt. That also needs to be factored into the selection of Whitner. In other words, selecting a safety with the eighth pick instead of a dt ended up costing the Bills a player.

We now have a strong basis for comparison. If Leinart/Cutler or Ngata/Bunkley outperform Whitner (at a position that is not usually a big money or high pick position), than the scouts and Modrak need to go.