Mike Mayock likes the McCargo pick

So we were going to trade into the 1st to get a player that we already have 2 guys at (Preston and Fowler?)

Now we get our DT and everyone is complaing cause they believe we would have had him at our 2nd round pick (isn't that 20 picks away?)

675574[/snapback]

I'm looking at it from the "Mangold is going to be entrenched for 10 seasons", rather than the "we have two guards who've snapped before" kind of way. Call me crazy.

Like I said before, I don't know crap about McCargo. Maybe he's gonna be awesome. In any case, he's a BILL and I'm gonna root for him. I sincerely hope we don't regret not picking Mangold.

Gil Brandt agrees with you.  Why do you say that?

675570[/snapback]

I just think taking a safety at 8 is way too high, not to mention he might have been there at 14 or 15. If the Bills were going to make the trade with the Bears ( and all indications were that they were ) then drafting Whitner and not trading down from 8 is even more of a mistake

as for McCargo...with the exception of Kiper every other mock I read had McCargo go anywhere from the mid 20's to the mid 2nd round. He's an athletic big guy that wont be pushed around and thats a rare combination. I have actually seen the guy play on a couple of occassions and noticed right away that he was good at penetrating the line of scrimmage

I just think taking a safety at 8 is way too high, not to mention he might have been there at 14 or 15. If the Bills were going to make the trade with the Bears ( and all indications were that they were ) then drafting Whitner and not trading down from 8 is even more of a mistake

I wasn't referring to that one.

as for McCargo...with the exception of Kiper every other mock I read had McCargo go anywhere from the mid 20's to the mid 2nd round. He's an athletic big guy that wont be pushed around and thats a rare combination. I have actually seen the guy play on a couple of occassions and noticed right away that he was good at penetrating the line of scrimmage

675642[/snapback]

Thanks. I've never seen him play.

Gil Brandt on NFL.com

3. John McCargo, N.C. State (6-1½, 302, 5.19)

McCargo had a complete workout at the Combine. He ran his two 40s in 5.16 and 5.22 seconds. He also recorded a 30½-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-2 long jump, a 4.48 short shuttle, a 7.79 three-cone drill and 25 bench presses. He played defensive line and fullback in high school, recording 98 carries for 648 yards as a senior. He also played baseball, basketball, and threw the shot-put and discus. He redshirted in 2002. He started 13 games in 2003 and 16 over the next two years, missing the final five games of the 2005 regular season with injury. He has very good athletic ability; he will get a good push rushing the passer. He has quickness and explosion in addition to good pass-rush moves -- he's not just a bull rusher. He is inconsistent at times, but he has a chance to be a Pro Bowl player. McCargo has met with eight different teams, including Kansas City on April 19.