NHL War Room for Video Replay is a Joke

Taro T

I was just reading the latest THN (Vol 59 #31) and in it there was a disturbing article about video replay. (Sorry, I have the issue in print, so didn't check to see if it is on the web.)

They stated that the digital recorders used in the different rinks in the NHL use too low of a frame / second to be able to always see a puck in the net (they didn't see it in an Edmonton Minnesota game recently). So the in-rink official may not be able to correctly state that a puck is in the net when it in fact is in the net.

Well, that's why they have the high tech stuff in the "war room" in Toronto, right? Wrong. The guys in Toronto ONLY SEE THE OVER AIR BROADCAST OF THE GAMES. They don't get any of the backfeeds and can't call to production trucks to get specific replays.

In the particular game in question, the network broadcasting the game didn't buy the overhead video feed (apparently they have to pay extra for that one) and didn't show a side angle view that would have shown the puck in the net until AFTER the play resumed.

I can understand the league trying to save money, but this is ridiculous. They are definitely setting themselves up for another "No Goal" situation. Just when I think they are getting their act together, they prove that they aren't. :w00t: