What's up with WNY politicians?

el Tigre

Whenever the subject of a possible move by the Bills comes up,WNY politicians seem to take alot of blame. I live in CA so I'm really ignorant of what goes on there politically. What is it that these politicians have done,or continue to do,that has so hurt the area economy? I have always been under the impression that you guys have had a manufacturing based economy and as these jobs have moved overseas,where they pay pennies to our dollars,the area has suffered. Maybe there's more to it? Not trying to start a fight here, just wondering what these guys do that gets some so angry.

My guess is that it has more to do with frustration. The city has struggled for a long time. Businesses, libraries, churches and hospitals have closed and hundreds of thousands of us had to find a better way to survive somewhere else. Buffalo has been slow to adjust to changing global economics. The weather reputation and reality doesn't help. The facts are that there are other cities who have adjusted well and there are northern cities that do thrive. I wish it was better.

How about raise taxes so high that no business can afford to remain in the area?

665478[/snapback]

And the State's individual taxes. And the property taxes (based on current value as opposed to purchase price).

And the State's individual taxes.  And the property taxes (based on current value as opposed to purchase price).

665483[/snapback]

Okay, NYS taxes are high. It is more complicated than that.

The thing is when I moved to Illinois and my gross income (to start with, now I'm doing okay now thank you) went down, despite the fact the my state income taxes went down, when I added all the taxes and fees I paid together my tax burden (both raw and as a percentage) went up! I've also handled property my family owned in WNY until last year so I know that part of the equation as well.

Still ... If I could find stable work at 50% of what I make now I'd move back with my Midwestern family quite happily.