$$$$$$$$$$$&#03

A  chevy work van, its needed for my job.... My weekly gas bill beats my $130.00 food shopping bill by more then 50...

664643[/snapback]

eesh, my weekly gas bill is about 80$. that's a lot for someone who is still in school.

eesh, my weekly gas bill is about 80$. that's a lot for someone who is still in school.

664648[/snapback]

Sure is...... Hang on, its not even summer yet........ I bought a wood coal stove to reduce my heating bill, I need to attach a sail to my van......

Sure is...... Hang on, its not even summer yet........ I bought a wood coal stove to reduce my heating bill, I need to attach a sail to my van......

664674[/snapback]

you shouldn't complain though, you guys pay like 3.50$ a gallon while us Canucks pay like 4$+ a gallon, and we're taxed more...

you shouldn't complain though, you guys pay like 3.50$ a gallon while us Canucks pay like 4$+ a gallon, and we're taxed more...

664675[/snapback]

Ya, at least your taxes provide for health care...... On the brightside our taxes are for the reconstruction of iraq <_<

Ya, at least your taxes provide for health care...... On the brightside our taxes are for the reconstruction of iraq <_<

664683[/snapback]

they also pay for 3000$ ties, and the rest of the Gomery scandal. As well, we pay a tax on tax. 7% Government sales tax, and a 8% Provincial sales tax which is taxed on the summation of the good * the government sales tax.

they also pay for 3000$ ties, and the rest of the Gomery scandal.  As well, we pay a tax on tax.  7% Government sales tax, and a 8% Provincial sales tax which is taxed on the summation of the good * the government sales tax.

664685[/snapback]

We pay taxes for the priviledge of living in our townships.

...and we pay taxes on top of that.  ;)

664713[/snapback]

i always wondered when policy makers finally decide that taxes are too high.

on one hand, the feds decided to lower the GST by a few percentage points to help stimulate the Canadian economy...

on another hand, the provinicial gov has decided to raise the tax on TPS to offset the change. <_<

i always wondered when policy makers finally decide that taxes are too high. 

Depends on who is in charge. Some believe in cutting taxes. Others want to raise taxes because the government is not providing enough handouts.

on one hand, the feds decided to lower the GST by a few percentage points to help stimulate the Canadian economy...

on another hand, the provinicial gov has decided to raise the tax on TPS to offset the change.  <_<

664725[/snapback]

It happens here, too. The Fed cuts taxes. The states raise taxes to offset the reduction in federal revenue. Vicious cycle.

Depends on who is in charge. Some believe in cutting taxes. Others want to raise taxes because the government is not providing enough handouts.

It happens here, too. The Fed cuts taxes. The states raise taxes to offset the reduction in federal revenue. Vicious cycle.

664733[/snapback]

It doesn't work. Unless you're suffering from high inflation, (anything over 3%), raising taxes will only hinder economic growth, and give people a reason to use cash for underground activity.

A lot of politicians talk about the debt, but how could you repay the debt by raising taxes, which in turn lowers overall income, and lowers tax revenue.

Sometimes I think these policymakers have never read one report from Keynes or Friedman.

It doesn't work.  Unless you're suffering from high inflation, (anything over 3%), raising taxes will only hinder economic growth, and give people a reason to use cash for underground activity. 

A lot of politicians talk about the debt, but how could you repay the debt by raising taxes, which in turn lowers overall income, and lowers tax revenue.

Sometimes I think these policymakers have never read one report from Keynes or Friedman.

664735[/snapback]

Amazing, isn't it? It is hard to put more into the economy when it is being taken away from you before you even receive it.

Amazing, isn't it? It is hard to put more into the economy when it is being taken away from you before you even receive it.

664738[/snapback]

The problem lies with the way the political system works. Politicians do what they can to get voted back. The short term is not enough to promote a long run steady growth. As a result, they just implement political friendly policies, and then have to reverse them once they're voted back into office.

On the other hand, keeping a president in office for more than 4 years could be aproblem as well.

The problem lies with the way the political system works.  Politicians do what they can to get voted back. 

Yup. Pandering is great, isn't it?

The short term is not enough to promote a long run steady growth.  As a result, they just implement political friendly policies, and then have to reverse them once they're voted back into office.

They do not even have to impliment the "politically friendly policies." They just have to say that they will impliment them while they are campaigning and they will win. Once the vote is counted, all bets are off because they know that the populous will not hold them accountable for their actions (or inactions). It's a good gig.

On the other hand, keeping a president in office for more than 4 years could be aproblem as well.

664744[/snapback]

It depends on the president. Some can be good and you want them in for a second term. Others, you want to get rid of quickly.

Yup. Pandering is great, isn't it?

They do not even have to impliment the "politically friendly policies." They just have to say that they will impliment them while they are campaigning and they will win. Once the vote is counted, all bets are off because they know that the populous will not hold them accountable for their actions (or inactions). It's a good gig.

It depends on the president. Some can be good and you want them in for a second term. Others, you want to get rid of quickly.

664750[/snapback]

Actually, from the research I've done in my classes, they often will do something like this.

During the campaign, they will lower interest rates, all of a sudden firms take advantage and begin investing so unemployment goes down. As a result, the incumbent then claims that Unemployment is at an all time low and that they should vote for him again.

After the person is re-elected, because the voters buy into this wow all of a sudden there are jobs approach, the politician has to put massive deflationary policies to control the sudden surge in inflation, which forces firms to fire their workers ... and life goes on.

If you give a government enough time to adopt a steady long term growth solution, which in the short term might appear ineffective, the economy would be a lot better off.

By doing this you need to have fiscal policy invest in long-term infrastructure, but what happens is the rival parties complain about the increase in the debt, and everyone complains.