Don't look for the Vikings to trade up

Vikings owners sees no reason to trade up.

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf expects his "triangle of authority" to collectively make draft-day decisions.

If necessary, though, Wilf said Fran Foley, the vice president of player personnel, will have the final say.

"In case, for whatever reason, we don't reach a consensus, it should always be left up to the director of player personnel," Wilf said Monday. "We would hope that's not the case. But definitely he would have the authority."

Wilf alluded to the 2003 NFL Draft, when the Vikings' time expired on their seventh pick and they were passed by two other clubs.

"We had some craziness a couple years ago," he said. "But we want to avoid that. I don't foresee having that problem. But if we do, then Fran would make that call."

With a league-high five picks in the top 95 selections, Wilf said he doesn't envision any trades to move up. "Unless something extraordinary occurs, but I don't see that," said Wilf, who will be in the draft room.

Wilf's triangle of authority includes Foley, head coach Brad Childress and Rob Brzezinski, vice president of football operations.

This offseason, the Vikings aggressively spent money in free agency on players such as all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson and linebacker Ben Leber.

"We will build on the draft," Wilf said, "and we will fill in with free agency."

maybe so....but if the Bills had 5 of the top 95 picks, i wouldn't be looking for them to trade up either.

oh wait......they don't they?!??!?    :w00t:

664302[/snapback]

Childress wants a QB for the future to groom. If Cutler is available at eight....I'll bet Zigi's words go right out the window.

Childress wants a QB for the future to groom. If Cutler is available at eight....I'll bet Zigi's words go right out the window.

664304[/snapback]

Maybe "something extraordinary" is Young or Cutler getting within reach. Even Zigi knows they aren't dropping to 17.