Deadskins writer bashes

scribo

Look, I'm sick of seeing Ralph on the news crying about the injustices in the world because of his inabilities to find a staff to put butts in the seats going forward.

It's not Dan Snyder's fault that the Bills suck and they are going to have a hard time selling out this year.

It has nothing to do with ticket prices or revenue sharing, or anything else.

If he had a product like he did in the early 90's then people would be willing to spend $75.00 per ticket to come to a Bills game. But, he doesn't. And the bottom line is that it was Ralph's poor decisions in staffing that has led to the crappy sales he's going to be seeing except when a popular team comes to town.

659181[/snapback]

And I'm equally sick of people saying: "Ralph should just shut up and get tough!"

The NFL is a very competitive league already and the Bills work just as hard as any other NFL organization. The biggest difference between teams is simple geography.

Teams in growth markets with large population centers generate more revenue by default. The NFL claims to be based on tradition and above just making money.

If that's the case, then Ralph has a legitimate claim and has the right to stand up for what he believes in. After all, he played a big part in building the revenue

juggernaut that the so-called New Guard owners are riding on.

If it's all about "getting tough" and generating revenue, then the people who are complaining about Ralph's "whining" will have lots more to complain about, because teams like Buffalo, Cincinnatti, Kansas City and even Indianapolis are going to disappear.

Then we'll all get to enjoy posting about the big deal the Los Angeles Bills just made with Nike. Give me a break.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The admission for training camp was for one year and it was pretty much dropped about halfway through that one camp as they gave out vouchers to come back on another day for free to everyone as they were leaving. That was six years ago. He made a mistake, he learned from it, and has moved on.

659801[/snapback]

I love watching snyder fall on his face ALL the time. How about the parking situation? This guy is a joke. He has money but he can't even buy a winner. Just the thought of having to PAY to watch a PRACTICE was so CHEAP it shows his true colors. MONEY MONEY MONEY, the "OLd Guard" actually cared about the game. The "New Guard" might win out in the long run, but it will also be the end of football. Take Monday night Football. What happened? Too much Redskins, Cowboys and other big market teams. Lets kiss the Big markets butts and go down the tubes with them. The truth of the matter is were did all these huge markets get their population from. The small markets, who are having a hard time, yet their loyalties remain with their home team. SPread the wealth hell spread the "COVERAGE"

I love watching snyder fall on his face ALL the time.  How about the parking situation?  This guy is a joke.  He has money but he can't even buy a winner.  Just the thought of having to PAY to watch a PRACTICE was so CHEAP it shows his true colors.  MONEY MONEY MONEY,  the  "OLd Guard" actually cared about the game.  The "New Guard" might win out in the long run, but it will also be the end of football.  Take Monday night Football.  What happened?  Too much Redskins, Cowboys and other big market teams.  Lets kiss the Big markets butts and go down the tubes with them.  The truth of the matter is were did all these huge markets get their population from.  The small markets, who are having a hard time, yet their loyalties remain with their home team.  SPread the wealth  hell spread the "COVERAGE"

660434[/snapback]

That big markets get thier population from small markets is no lie. I went to a Phoenix/Minnesota game a couple of years back in Phoenix.

There was more purple in the stands than red. And after Minn won, you could have sworn that it was a home victory. All those people didn't fly in that day. If the Minn franchise was gone, that stadium would have been a ghost town. Wasn't all that filled anyway.

That big markets get thier population from small markets is no lie. I went to a Phoenix/Minnesota game a couple of years back in Phoenix.

There was more purple in the stands than red. And after Minn won, you could have sworn that it was a home victory. All those people didn't fly in that day. If the Minn franchise was gone, that stadium would have been a ghost town. Wasn't all that filled anyway.

660701[/snapback]

It is like that virtually every game for the Cardinals. Every year the biggest crowd is the Cowboy game and it's all Cowboy fans. Philly, the Giants or Jets. Even the Bills game there a couple years ago was half filled by Bills fans. The next couple years because of the novelty of a brand new stadium which is reportedly one of the best stadiums in the world will get the fans out. We'll see a couple years down the road if the Cardinals can keep a crowd there after the novelty wears off.

It is like that virtually every game for the Cardinals. Every year the biggest crowd is the Cowboy game and it's all Cowboy fans. Philly, the Giants or Jets. Even the Bills game there a couple years ago was half filled by Bills fans. The next couple years because of the novelty of a brand new stadium which is reportedly one of the best stadiums in the world will get the fans out. We'll see a couple years down the road if the Cardinals can keep a crowd there after the novelty wears off.

660766[/snapback]

While I'm sure that's true, I'm assuming the team makes up for it with corporate luxury boxes, naming rights, etc. The cardinals have access to far more $$ from that area than Buffalo does. Phoenix is a growing market, and companies can afford to pay exhorbitant prices for luxury boxes just for the networking and prestige value. And that's the problem:

The game has noting to do with it.

It's more about the prestige of the luxury suite, networking and talking shop with other businessmen. The game is unimportant.

I think this is avery dangerous precedent, because teams like Buffalo (And there's more than one small market team involved here) don't have the kind of business community that can afford luxury boxes.

I live about an hour away from Pittsburgh, and have been to a couple of Pirates games. Guess what? nobody's watching. There's so many other forms of entertainment going on that the game is secondary. That might work for baseball, but it's bad for football.

While I'm sure that's true, I'm assuming the team makes up for it with corporate luxury boxes, naming rights, etc.  The cardinals have access to far more $$ from that area than Buffalo does.  Phoenix is a growing market, and companies can afford to pay exhorbitant prices for luxury boxes just for the networking and prestige value.  And that's the problem:

The game has noting to do with it. 

It's more about the prestige of the luxury suite, networking and talking shop with other businessmen.  The game is unimportant.

I think this is avery dangerous precedent, because teams like Buffalo (And there's more than one small market team involved here) don't have the kind of business community that can afford luxury boxes.

I live about an hour away from Pittsburgh, and have been to a couple of Pirates games.  Guess what?  nobody's watching.  There's so many other forms of entertainment going on that the game is secondary.  That might work for baseball, but it's bad for football.

661025[/snapback]

Well, with the new stadium, yes the Cardinals will make a killing in the luxury suite sales because you're right, there is a ton of money there. But so far, I don't think they have sold their stadium naming rights. It's like Cardinals Stadium now. The first 20 years of their existence, they rented the stadium they played in from ASU. They got no rights. There weren't a lot of luxury suites until a few were built during renovations a few years ago. And yet even as the worst run franchise in the history of professional sports, they continued to make money.

Well, with the new stadium, yes the Cardinals will make a killing in the luxury suite sales because you're right, there is a ton of money there.

661050[/snapback]

I am no homer when it comes to the WNY business climate. BUT! I have done business in Phoenix and I have to say, it ain't all that booming business wise. There is money here too.

the one thing that the Southwest has, is people moving in. that in and of itself is a business generator. Look at Vegas (250k when I was there in 82 and about 1.5 mil in the valley now) look at Dallas, and Houston, and whats' that Austin in Tx. All these places have PEOPLE. But, not business. Not like corp HQ and big money business.

Which leads me to ask. Is Corp. America burnt out? have we just become the largest Market in the world. NOT the largest economic engine? Manufacturing was the heart and soul of this greatness that we called America, but it is all but up and fled.

NFL football is sucking off the corporate tit of the US. But look at your blue chips in your 401K. They stink. My Latin America investments have absolutely KILLED my blue chippers and my growth funds. And that is not just for 1 year but 2 and more.

Maybe.... and it pains me to even think it, the influx of immigrants, illeagal and otherwise is the only thing still keeping us in the game.

Cause otherwise we need to be thinking, we are burnt.

what does this mean to us on the football board? 2 things.

1. the NFL can't continue to look to corp America to fund it's growth. Because that is going to start shrinking and shrinking fast!

2. The only place for growth in NFL land is PPV. Pay Per View. And where are the die hard fans that are going to drop 20bucks a viewing? And what will they pay to watch? That is the question that we will answer in the future.

For now, I say the mainline old guard teams are worth the most. The FRANCHISE is the action. (quote me on that). So NE, Dallas, NY Giants, Oakland, Buffalo, Pitt, Minnesota, These are the teams.

And they HAVE to be connected to the cities they come from. ie, LA Rams has more value than the SL Rams. It will be a global thing. And the franchise will be more valuable to the global ppv market. Think pro wrestling on an international scale with the ppv market. There is some serious money there. But to get it, the franchise has to be kept pure. Moving teams around will turn it into something that won't appeal to the world market.

Lastly, don't think these guys don't understand this model.

anybody?