Willis & Nate

Both no show`s at mini -camp.Willis has a scheduling problem and Nate is still Mad about his contract. No I in team with these boy`s? :(

656082[/snapback]

Actually, Nate isn't there becuase he isn't under contract.

I would think his agent would kill him if he showed up for minicamp.  If he gets injured he's SOL for 2006.

Franchise players are under no obligation to show to either mini or training camp.

656089[/snapback]

Once he signs his tender he'll be obligated to show at training camp. But he doesn't have to sign until very late. Pace did this for years. It's a big deal here though since there is a new defense to learn.

Once he signs his tender he'll be obligated to show at training camp.  But he doesn't have to sign until very late.  Pace did this for years.  It's a big deal here though since there is a new defense to learn.

656094[/snapback]

It would be a bigger deal if he were a lineman or linebacker though. Not sure the system change is really going to change his style of play too much.

I would think his agent would kill him if he showed up for minicamp.  If he gets injured he's SOL for 2006.

Franchise players are under no obligation to show to either mini or training camp.

656089[/snapback]

He can pack up his shick and leave for all I care .Like he`s gonna be the difference maker on THIS team. what a star studded lineup we are going to have.I gotta quit before my blood pressure boils. Let`s Go BuFFaLOOOOOOO? :(

He can pack up his shick and leave for all I care .Like he`s gonna be the difference maker on THIS team. what a star studded lineup we are going to have.I gotta quit  before my blood pressure boils. Let`s Go BuFFaLOOOOOOO? :(

656097[/snapback]

but but but he is our "play maker" as he so often likes to remind us.

but but but he is our "play maker" as he so often likes to remind us.

656121[/snapback]

you are right.....remember @Miami.....that guy made plays for Chambers ALL DAY!!!!

Wow, some of you are amazing...ONE day of VOLUNTARY mini camp missed and suddenly Nate Clements is a bum? What great fans we have.  :(

656236[/snapback]

So exactly where did anyone say that he was a bum becuase he missed one VOLUNTARY mini camp?

They didn't say it but the tone around here is consistant with people's attitudes. You don't think so?

656401[/snapback]

No, not really. I think people aren't jumping on Nate's jock after the year he had last year. He was very under-whelming. That said, it doesn't sit real well when he decides to not sign his tender and show up to learn the new defense.

Honestly, I could care less. But I think it's a real bad idea on his part. I think that franchise tag could be the best thing to happen to Nate. He's coming off a bad year, and now he gets top 5 money and another shot to really show his stuff. Not to mention the cover 2 usually makes good CB's look better. If he learns his stuff and plays lights out this year...he breaks the bank next year.

But no matter what you think about Nate's ability, he IS glory hound. He will ride this out and see how often he can see his name in the paper. And hey, maybe that's the right call.

For the past few years every franchise player i've heard of doesn't sign the tender right away...Walter Jones was tagged something like 3 years in a row and didn't show up to anything til the season started. Offensive tackle is very different than cornerback but it's not like Nate is a rookie. He can and will hold his own. I'm sure they will work out the long term contract before the year starts...and no matter what kind of year he had last season...he is by far the Bills best defensive back. I just wish people would have a little more faith and not jump on all the players at the first sign of trouble.

For the past few years every franchise player i've heard of doesn't sign the tender right away...Walter Jones was tagged something like 3 years in a row and didn't show up to anything til the season started. Offensive tackle is very different than cornerback but it's not like Nate is a rookie. He can and will hold his own. I'm sure they will work out the long term contract before the year starts...and no matter what kind of year he had last season...he is by far the Bills best defensive back. I just wish people would have a little more faith and not jump on all the players at the first sign of trouble.

656410[/snapback]

Did Jones have to learn a new offense? That makes this situation different. It is a big deal. If he waits as long as those guys to sign, he will be behind the 8ball, and it will hurt them team. And more importantly to Nate, it will hurt Nate.

C'mon man, it's not that big a deal...it's APRIL! There are plenty of more voluntary mini camps and team events. He'll catch on fast. I'm sure Jauron sent him some stuff to study...he'll be just fine. It's not like he's learning a new position. He still has to cover the other team's best wide receivers.

Don't get me wrong I wish he was there, but I just don't think it's a reason to have ill will towards Clements.

Besides...is there really a penalty if a players signs a franchise tag then gets a long term deal? Does the team really lose the franchise tag? I'm in the dark on that subject.

C'mon man, it's not that big a deal...it's APRIL! There are plenty of more voluntary mini camps and team events. He'll catch on fast. I'm sure Jauron sent him some stuff to study...he'll be just fine. It's not like he's learning a new position. He still has to cover the other team's best wide receivers.

Don't get me wrong I wish he was there, but I just don't think it's a reason to have ill will towards Clements.

Besides...is there really a penalty if a players signs a franchise tag then gets a long term deal? Does the team really lose the franchise tag? I'm in the dark on that subject.

656425[/snapback]

I'm not sure about the franchise tag thing, but as I said in my last post, if he waits as long as those other guys have in the past, it will hurt him. Yes, it only April now, but if Nate follows historical trends he won't be showing up until around the 3rd pre-season game. That would give him about a month to learn how to play with the rest of the team.

He could sign tomorrow and put an end to all of the discussion, but if he chooses to wait, which is my guess, it will get ugly.

Note - I think he waits as long as a long term deal isn't worked out. If he plays the season under the franchise tag, I wouldn't expect to see him until late in preseason.