The Ebola Solution

From his own web site's page on student evaluation:

Student Evals of Pianka

650722[/snapback]

I found this one particularly interesting:

"Although I did not agree with all of the points made in your lectures concerning the coming of man's armageddon, I was glad to finally have a professor (and yes, you definitely professed) who held a pessimistic view of the world, whose thoughts weren't clouded by biotechnological advances and the almighty superiority of man. Many of Ehrlich's points, I believe, are incorrect and exaggerated, but fortunately, with your emphasis on literature, history and its importance, as well as good experimentation, I understand science better as a whole than ever before. Thank you for this experience."

Sounds like a GREAT professor to me. If, as an academic, he is challenging his students and colleagues to think using controversial statements and opinions...good for him. If, he is trying, as a policy maker, to get this approach sanctioned (well...good fuc#ing luck, buddy)...then i can see some outrage. I don't get that sense, however. If I saw the transcript of the speach, perhaps I, too, would also be upset. Sounds like his colleagues enjoyed it, though.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic