Prayer in school

gotsoccer22

Do you want to keep prayer in school?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to keep prayer in school?

• yes
    • no

I appreciate that there are schools where there is prayer and that we may send our children to them. My denomination has our own School , where the members have built the schools , transport the children to all free of tax dollars at our expense. Its not my desire to tell others they must , but it is also not my desire to be we cannot. This is not a childrens choice its a adult one.

As a teacher I have no problem with a student taking a minute to pray. I also am not a preacher and don't feel qualified to teach religious ideas to middle schoolers. I Religion should be taught at home and at church. We already have enough to do in schools today.

Personally, I don't pray, it seems like a silly primative ritual to me. Before you bash me for that I will tell you that I am very spiritual.

As far as the pledge, we do it in my first period class everyday. It is a great signal that school has begun and it reminds us that we are Americans.

by "keeping prayer in School"-you are saying that some public school are. While I have no problem with prayer and hell knows I've done it before a Basketball game or test that I didn't study for. but do I believe it should be something added to class. No. what a student does on his or her time in the quiet moments between classes, or study hall is there own business, however I don't believe in a teachers leading it, not when there are so many different children with so many different back grounds. Prayer is popular in schools in the Middle east where they have little options.

I couldn't disagree with you more.  Prayer belongs wherever people want to do it.  It's not like second hand smoke that's going to hurt someone.  No, in school, kids can't and should not be allowed to be disruptive and pray out loud anywhere and anytime they want.  But if kids want to get together and do it in school and they are not bothering other people my constitution and yours says they have that right.

47673[/snapback]

I agree wholeheartedly. Prayer is a personal thing that helps see folks through (whether anyone is listening or not is a whole OTHER conversation) tough times. If saying a prayer helps a student through school, probably the most stressful situation for a child for a variety of reasons, I'm all for it.

I'm not an overly religious individual myself, but there's no doubt others rely on it; I fully support that.

As long as the schools don't outwardly endorse any specific religion, it's a good thing in my opinion. As teachers are authority figures, a teacher led prayer is effectively a school endorsement. Also... there are simply too many world religions to say any sort of a "generic" prayer.

Let them organize themselves, let them use classrooms, let them do whatever they want.

People put way to much stock in this. The chess club can use room 202 during off hours... the cheerleaders can use room 204 prior to class... the science club can use room 110 after school... why can't the Christian club or the Jewish club do the same thing?

As long as they don't force you or your child, let them do it their way. Edit... I wouldn't want them to force any type of belief upon my children, religion is just an example of that. The school is there to relay what most people would call fact, not belief. Let those that believe the same gather, however.

Edit again... (wow, lots of thoughts on this one I guess)...

In general, religion isn't something I feel I need to protect my little girl from. I'm not much of a church-goer, but that doesn't mean I think it's a bad thing. I'll explain what I think to her as well as allow her to experience it herself, so she can make her own decisions when she's old enough. No sense in wasting my breath trying to squash what others are saying so long as I can explain it to her under my own watch.

There are so many more things that are much more dangerous to worry about... political beliefs, drugs, school stress...

-Jeff