Bills interior defense

I'll take it that no one has an opinion of the Bills interior defense then?

643121[/snapback]

Actually I am content to sit tight on the interior DL for a while. Triplett is a good signing, we have adequate depth but I'd like to find another starter and an every down type backup player too. But I'd be looking at the draft and the june 1 cuts for those. Slim pickings right now for the type of player we want.

Guest BackInDaDay
How about addressing the specific concerns the Bills fans have. For example, I feel having an undersized tackle like Tripplett infront of an undersized linebacker like Fletcher will create a huge hole in the Bills run defense.

643104[/snapback]

I don't know the responsibilities of the 'other' DT in the Dungy/Kiffin Tampa Bay cover-2 (TBC2) defensive scheme. I remember they had DT Warren Sapp playing alot of 1-gap - either a 1 technique (shade off the C), 2i tech (shade inside the OG), or the 3-tech (shade outside the OG). This made the interior O linemen reset their 'base' after the snap to get a piece of the undersized, but quick, Sapp (6'2" - 300lb). I'd say that Triplett (6'2" - 295lb) and Anderson (6'3" - 304lb) will be used much the same way as Sapp.

I'm assuming (yeah, I know 0:) ) that the 'other' DT in this D would have to be an aggressive 2-gapper who can demand double-teams. That guy's not on the roster yet. Our heftiest guy is 310lb. I can't see Fewell(?) starting the season with two relatively small DTs in the front four, but he better convince Marv to get him some beef to anchor the middle or as you say, Fletcher will see alot of guys getting to him off combo blocks (C or OG chips the DT, then heads upfield for a LB) because the DTs can both be handled.

Also, something else for Fewell to lose sleep about.... Whose his Simeon Rice?

Schobel, Kelsay?

Whose his Derrick Brooks or Shelton Quarles?

Kiffin still run s the TBC2 for Gruden and he's got 7 out of 8 LBs on the roster who are 235 or lighter. I'm thinking they're fast. Fewell currently has 7 out of 8 LBs who are 235 or heavier!

Our entire D roster needs an overhaul. Getting faster at SS is a start. I've never seen Bowen play, but I hear he's faster than Milloy. Vincent's a converted CB, so he can handle his side. But who is Fewell gonna drop back into the deep middle of the TBC2? We don't have LB's that match up well in what's basically a cover-3 using an LB with the safeties. Spikes is probably our most athletic LB and he's coming off a bad wheel.

It's gonna be interesting.

i personaly like the

your an idiot

the best.

as far as the interior line, we need AT LEAST 1 more bigman who can play, but i think we should be able to grab 2 in the draft.

with the LBs healthy and our secondary intact (along with our high motor ends) i'm not that worried about our D.

we had grey who IMO was never a good DC and we upgraded over him to a guy with a scheme that fits us better, AND we have near the talent that we had when we were 2 in the NFL.

i think back to the carolina game where we ran a BASIC BASIC cover 2 D and nearly shut down the panthers inspite of our O sucking eggs and givng them the ball back all day.

i think (sadly) o line will continue to be the biggest problem, but could well be better than it has been in a while late in the year if we have some new young guys

Guest BackInDaDay
i think back to the carolina game where we ran a BASIC BASIC cover 2 D and nearly shut down the panthers inspite of our O sucking eggs and givng them the ball back all day.

643258[/snapback]

I didn't see the game, but I doubt you saw Milloy playing a cover two against Carolina. There would have been too many ways to get Steve Smith or Rick Proehl running past Lawyer in his deep 1/2.

I didn't see the game, but I doubt you saw Milloy playing a cover two against Carolina.  There would have been too many ways to get Steve Smith or Rick Proehl running past Lawyer in his deep 1/2.

643288[/snapback]

no no, they did.

the put a bit of a wrinkle in by keeping an LB over smith which worked very well (check the stat line, the bills might have done the best job on smoith all year).

came down to the wire and that is who gave up the go ahead TD

Guest BackInDaDay
no no, they did.

the put a bit of a wrinkle in by keeping an LB over smith  which worked very well (check the stat line, the bills might have done the best job on smoith all year).

came down to the wire and that is who gave up the go ahead TD

643304[/snapback]

Sounds like you know what you saw. 0:)