"A History of Violence"

Rico

Well, I don't know about Snakes on a Plane, but I saw A History of Violence for the 1st time on DVD tonight before the games started... Outstanding, probably Cronenberg's most accessible movie since The Fly. Viggo kicked much ass, Ed Harris & even William Hurt :lol: were both very good, and Viggo's wive in the movie, Maria Bello, was full-frontal... who could ask for more! B-) Highly recommended, best new DVD I've seen in a long time. :D

Well, I don't know about Snakes on a Plane, but I saw A History of Violence  for the 1st time on DVD tonight before the games started... Outstanding, probably Cronenberg's most accessible movie since The Fly. Viggo kicked much ass, Ed Harris & even William Hurt  :lol:  were both very good, and Viggo's wive in the movie, Maria Bello,  was full-frontal... who could ask for more! B-)  Highly recommended, best new DVD I've seen in a long time. :D

634262[/snapback]

I just watched it last night. I didn't like it QUITE as much as you did, but I thought it was very strong. Ed Harris is one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood, IMO. Viggo usually kicks ass in everything he does and this was no exception. Another movie of his, "Hidalgo", I thought I was going to hate....but I ended up really liking it, in large part due to his performance. I don't know what's up with Maria Bello, but she is one HORNY beyotch. She was friggin ALL OVER William H. Macy in "The Cooler", and she was definitely a 'freak in the bed' in History of Violence. She is hot as hell....though I still think she looked her best when she was on ER back in the day. She also looked great in 'Payback' with Mel Gibson. I definitely give this film a 4/5 stars.

I just watched it last night. I didn't like it QUITE as much as you did, but I thought it was very strong. Ed Harris is one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood, IMO. Viggo usually kicks ass in everything he does and this was no exception. Another movie of his, "Hidalgo", I thought I was going to hate....but I ended up really liking it, in large part due to his performance. I don't know what's up with Maria Bello, but she is one HORNY beyotch. She was friggin ALL OVER William H. Macy in "The Cooler", and she was definitely a 'freak in the bed' in History of Violence. She is hot as hell....though I still think she looked her best when she was on ER back in the day. She also looked great in 'Payback' with Mel Gibson. I definitely give this film a 4/5 stars.

634281[/snapback]

4/5 is about right, but that's still very good for a more recent movie IMO, most don't score quite that high with me... very rivetting (sp?).

Yes, she was pretty hot in The Cooler as well... don't watch ER, so I never saw her back then.

4/5 is about right, but that's still very good for a more recent movie IMO, most don't score quite that high with me... very rivetting (sp?).

Yes, she was pretty hot in The Cooler as well... don't watch ER, so I never saw her back then.

634285[/snapback]

Yeah, I have to admit I've been pretty disappointed with a lot of what I've seen lately. "Good Night, and Good Luck" wasn't as boring as some had led me to believe....it was alright. Interesting, if nothign else. Walk the Line held my attention.....Doom SUCKED like nothing I've ever seen. North Country was better than I thought...pretty good flick. I thought Rent was horrible. Dune was good, but that's not exactly a recent flick, lol. I dunno, just not a lot of really great stuff out there right now.

I'll tell you one I thought I was going to hate, cause I thought it was some dumb chick flick, was "My DAte With Drew".....I LOVED that flick....I think everyone should see it, actually. Sometimes you just gotta go for it, and that's what this guy did.

Yeah, I have to admit I've been pretty disappointed with a lot of what I've seen lately. "Good Night, and Good Luck" wasn't as boring as some had led me to believe....it was alright. Interesting, if nothign else. Walk the Line held my attention.....Doom SUCKED like nothing I've ever seen. North Country was better than I thought...pretty good flick. I thought Rent was horrible. Dune was good, but that's not exactly a recent flick, lol. I dunno, just not a lot of really great stuff out there right now.

I'll tell you one I thought I was going to hate, cause I thought it was some dumb chick flick, was "My DAte With Drew".....I LOVED that flick....I think everyone should see it, actually. Sometimes you just gotta go for it, and that's what this guy did.

634292[/snapback]

I've got Good Night, and Good Luck on right now (my PC is to the left of one of my Lay-Z-Boy chairs)... as you can tell, I'm not feeling it. :lol:

You didn't mention The Ice Harvest, I thought that was pretty good.

I've got Good Night, and Good Luck on right now (my PC is to the left of one of my Lay-Z-Boy chairs)... as you can tell, I'm not feeling it. :lol:

You didn't mention The Ice Harvest, I thought that was pretty good.

634299[/snapback]

Ice Harvest was shipped to me today, so I'm hoping to watch that tomorrow.....also have one called "Junebug" that's supposed to be pretty good. I think it was up for some sort of academy award. I'm glad you say Ice Harvest was good....I'm looking forward to that one!

If "Good Night...." was any longer than it was, Id have tuned out. But when I saw a relatively short running time, I was able to stick with it. I thought the endign left something to be desired, but not a bad film.

Ice Harvest was shipped to me today, so I'm hoping to watch that tomorrow.....also have one called "Junebug" that's supposed to be pretty good. I think it was up for some sort of academy award. I'm glad you say Ice Harvest was good....I'm looking forward to that one!

If "Good Night...." was any longer than it was, Id have tuned out. But when I saw a relatively short running time, I was able to stick with it. I thought the endign left something to be desired, but not a bad film.

634302[/snapback]

I think you'll like it, Harold Ramis directed it but it plays out like a Coen Brothers movie.... well, let me try to get into this, later.

Saw History of Violence last night. My wife is a huge Vigo fan, so we own the DVD. I thought it was great. 4 out of 5 is pretty dead-on. The last 15 minutes is outstanding.

Junebug was also pretty fabulous. Amy Adams (?) definately deserved her Oscar nomination.

I thought Ice Harvest was pretty dull. I've seen the same plot a thousand times. The only thing that kept me interested was the fact that I'm a Cusack fan. Other than that, pretty boring.

BBQ, beers and V for Vendetta tonight.

Saw History of Violence last night.  My wife is a huge Vigo fan, so we own the DVD.  I thought it was great.  4 out of 5 is pretty dead-on.  The last 15 minutes is outstanding.

Junebug was also pretty fabulous.  Amy Adams (?) definately deserved her Oscar nomination.

I thought Ice Harvest was pretty dull.  I've seen the same plot a thousand times.  The only thing that kept me interested was the fact that I'm a Cusack fan.  Other than that, pretty boring.

BBQ, beers and V for Vendetta tonight.

634513[/snapback]

Let us know what you think of 'V'.....I'm dying to see that!

Yeah, the last 15 mins with Bill Hurt and Viggo was awesome. I loved it. I also thought that Viggo did a great job of transitioning. I won't say too much about that for those who haven't seen it, but even though it's subtle, it was damn effective. The guy's acting was very impressive.

Junebug looks really good....I've only seen the preview, but when I saw that it was up for an oscar or two I figured it must be a decent flick. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll pretty much watch anything with Cusack in it.....one film I really got a kick out of that lots of people hated was 'Pushing Tin'.....I thought he and Billy Bob were both great in that film.