some draft sleepers

Lothar

Football's Future sleeper picks

Marques Colston - red zone receiver - depending on Moulds' ultimate destination, we will need help in the red zone. While I still hope we can get another TE in the draft (Fassano, if I ignore the Davis hype).

Many people have not heard the name Marques Colston, but that is a result of playing for D1-AA Hofstra. After sitting out 2004 with an injury, Colston put together an excellent senior campaign, hauling in 70 balls for 975 yards and five touchdowns. That was after a 51/910/7 performance before the injury. Colston is a huge target, checking in at 6'5 224lbs at the combine. He also moves well for a player with those dimensions, as his 4.55 40 at Indy suggests. What makes him stand out though is his body control. Colston knows how to use his size to shield off defenders, and may have the best skills of any wide out in the draft at adjusting to the ball while it's in the air. His combination of size and body control makes him unstoppable in jump ball situations. The knock on Colston's game was that he was playing at a lower level, and that he did not face enough talent on a game to game basis. He put on a show at the East-West Shrine game with players from major schools, and showed that he can play with anyone. He is a work in progress, but he could develop into an excellent intermediate and red zone threat in the NFL.

Will Derting - LB from Washington State - I've seen this kid play several games - he just knows how to get to the football. He has had to get thru injuries however, but could be worth a late round flyer.

Another Pac-10 linebacker has flown under the radar. Washington State's Will Derting is a football player. That is the only description that does him justice. He is not the biggest, the fastest, or the most athletic, but the guy knows how to play football. Derting's football instincts are second to none. He reads and reacts as quickly as any player in this draft. There are no wasted steps and no hesitation once Derting reads the play. The problem with Derting is his durability. He is a bit undersized for the linebacker position, and is coming off a knee injury that limited his senior season to just six games and only 35 tackles. It is understandable that he only carries a Day Two grade, but if this kid is healthy, he is a guy you will hear a lot about in the NFL.

Jon Alston (potential converted SS from LB from Stanford - aiiieee! - somebody stop me). Kid has great speed and if he has better instincts than Coy, he may be worth a look in the 4th.

LB Jon Alston from Stanford isn't your typical linebacker. He's a tad undersized at 6'1 223, and he's got ridiculous speed, clocking a 4.40 40 at the combine in February. With those measurables, you would immediately think safety, but Alston has been a standout outside linebacker for the Cardinal. He has used that speed and quickness to post 113 tackles, 23.5 tackles for loss, and 15 sacks over the past two seasons. Alston has the agility and cover ability you would expect of a player with those dimensions, but the sack numbers show he knows how to get to the passer as well. He flies around the football field doing whatever is asked of him, and the result is usually positive. Alston is a linebacker, but with his athletic talent, some teams may view him as a safety. Wherever he plays, he is a playmaker and a name to keep an eye on.

Vernon Davis is NOT hype.

629988[/snapback]

The hype I refer to is that surrounding the Bills' possible selection of Davis. The signing of Royal combined with taking Everett last year with a first day pick make Davis' selection a luxury akin to a Donahoe choice. In fact, if TD were here, I'd say Vernon might be the pick. Given the current state of the Bills, if we can't trade down and pick up another 2nd rounder, my hopes for our #1 pick are as follows:

1. Hawk - I didn't think there was any chance we could end up with AJ but I've seen a few mock drafts showing him slipping to our pick. If we sign Pickett, adding Hawk would make the biggest immediate impact to the defense (see Tatupu in Seattle or Vilma in NY). We'd probably drop Posey while Crowell becomes a capable sub - we'd find a way to juggle our LBs to get Hawk on the field. His availability makes for more trade-down opps as well.

2. Huff - I know there are several good safety prospects here but Huff fills an immediate need with Milloy's departure and has the hips and 4.4 speed to even play corner if we want to play more flexible defenses.

3. Ngata - While I prefer Bunkley, the signing of Triplett means our other tackle needs more bulk. Ngata has a higher ceiling than Bunkley but probably would take longer to become a player. I've watched several UO games - Ngata is a star but played in the defensively challenged PAC 10 and he needs a couple years of good coaching to approach his potential.

4. Davis - You can't ignore his measurables but if you watched the combine receiving drills, he caught the ball with his body rather than his hands. That might be ok given his speed, but with Everett and Royal already here, I think his availability at the #8 spot would entice someone to give up a 2nd rounder to move up and we should listen.