Jason Peters- RFA

Why make him an offer? He's an EFA this year, and after that, he's an RFA for another 3 more years. If he's good, the Bills will tender him at the 1st and 3rd levels, of not more (if that's possible). So he's not going anywhere for at least another 4 years. Assuming there's no lockout or extension of the CBA.

Why make him an offer?  He's an EFA this year, and after that, he's an RFA for another 3 more years.  If he's good, the Bills will tender him at the 1st and 3rd levels, of not more (if that's possible).  So he's not going anywhere for at least another 4 years.  Assuming there's no lockout or extension of the CBA.

616616[/snapback]

this is what I know about RFA's ---

A -- He has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players) from his old club. He can negotiate with any club through April 15. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club can match the offer and retain him because it has the "right of first refusal." If the old club does not match the offer, it can possibly receive draft-choice compensation depending on the amount of its qualifying offer. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player’s rights revert to his old club on April 15.

If the offer is not high enough for another club to worry about loosing draft choices and we do not match it or can't match it because it puts us over the cap then we will loose Peters. Some Teams are way under the cap right now and this is possible.

The Bills can and will easily make him an offer that makes it so silly for another team he chooses to negotiate with to make him a better offer. Even if some team makes him a better offer, the Bills retain the right to match it (which they if its a sweetheart deal for us which is less than amount he could get from us in negotiation) or do not (if they offer him such a risky amount we will not go for ut and in exchange we simply get a bunch of draft resources.

I know of only a relatively few cases where even an RFA gpt a deal (and one of them Coles ended up getting cut by the Skins and going back to the team he escaped from with his wallet considerably heavier).

I know ofno EFAs who were signed away from a team which made them a qualifying offer. We have Peters for at least a year and probably two. There is no need and proably no real ability on anyone's part to negotiate with him this year.

The Bills can and will easily make him an offer that makes it so silly for another team he chooses to negotiate with to make him a better offer.  Even if some team makes him a better offer, the Bills retain the right to match it (which they if its a sweetheart deal for us which is less than amount he could get from us in negotiation) or do not (if they offer him such a risky amount we will not go for ut and in exchange we simply get a bunch of draft resources.

I know of only a relatively few cases where even an RFA gpt a deal (and one of them Coles ended up getting cut by the Skins and going back to the team he escaped from with his wallet considerably heavier).

I know ofno EFAs who were signed away from a team which made them a qualifying offer.  We have Peters for at least a year and probably two.  There is no need and proably no real ability on anyone's part to negotiate with him this year.

616654[/snapback]

Thanks - I would hate to loose this kid.

An EFA is an exclusive rights FA which means he has no power to negotiate with other teams. If he is tendered he is with the Bills next year. Done!

An RFA is tendered on 3 levels lowest you get a pick of the round the player was drafted in. Middle a first rounder and highest a 1st and 3rd rounder.

Thus Jason Peters an EFA was tendered so he can't negotiate with other teams and will be a Bill next year.

An EFA is an exclusive rights FA which means he has no power to negotiate with other teams. If he is tendered he is with the Bills next year. Done!

An RFA is tendered on 3 levels lowest you get a pick of the round the player was drafted in. Middle a first rounder and highest a 1st and 3rd rounder.

Thus Jason Peters an EFA was tendered so he can't negotiate with other teams and will be a Bill next year.

616782[/snapback]

The Board has spoken. Once again- thanks for clearing this up for me.