Bush, Chertoff warned before Katrina struck...

LINKY

LINKY

The Associated Press obtained the confidential government video and made it public Wednesday, offering Americans their own inside glimpse into the government's fateful final Katrina preparations after months of fingerpointing and political recriminations.

"My gut tells me & this is a bad one and a big one," then-federal disaster chief Michael Brown told the final government-wide briefing the day before Katrina struck the Gulf Coast on Aug. 29.

The president didn't ask a single question during the briefing but assured soon-to-be-battered state officials: "We are fully prepared."

The footage along with seven days of transcripts of briefings obtained by AP show in excruciating detail that while federal officials anticipated the tragedy that unfolded in New Orleans and elsewhere along the Gulf Coast, they were fatally slow to realize they had not mustered enough resources to deal with the unprecedented disaster.

A top hurricane expert voiced "grave concerns" about the levees and Brown, then the Federal Emergency Management Agency chief, told the president and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff that he feared there weren't enough disaster teams to help evacuees at the Superdome.

"I'm concerned about & their ability to respond to a catastrophe within a catastrophe," Brown told his bosses the afternoon before Katrina made landfall.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if they are going to release video or transcripts of the meetings the mayor of NO and the governor of LA had (at the same point in the timeline) with their disaster officials.

I wonder if they are going to release video or transcripts of the meetings the mayor of NO and the governor of LA had (at the same point in the timeline) with their disaster officials.

616127[/snapback]

Only if they are confidential.

Good for AP, they were able to get the confidental government video, glad THEY are able to point out flaws of the Administration...after all, pointing out the flaws of the Bush Administration is MUCH more important then talking about ways to prevent an act of God from destroying a city, correct?

The local government in Lousiana had no play in this, its ALL Bush's fault, yet again. Im numb to all this negativity anymore. Good for you. Bush sucks, go pat yourself on the back.

And who cares about the victims anymore...its ALL about bringing DOWN the Administration because of the media's own agendas.

Way to go! :doh:

The media didn't just pull this out on their own, someone has passed it to them. Not so much their agenda as it is someone elses. So, now we know everyone thought a real bad Hurricane was coming, and at the same time realized that they didn't have enough assets that could be mobilized quickly enough to do anything in the very short term and faced quite the dilemma.

Good for AP, they were able to get the confidental government video, glad THEY are able to point out flaws of the Administration...after all, pointing out the flaws of the Bush Administration is MUCH more important then talking about ways to prevent an act of God from destroying a city, correct?

The local government in Lousiana had no play in this, its ALL Bush's fault, yet again.  Im numb to all this negativity anymore.  Good for you.  Bush sucks, go pat yourself on the back.

And who cares about the victims anymore...its ALL about bringing DOWN the Administration because of the media's own agendas.

Way to go!  :doh:

616140[/snapback]

Oh I think you misread the situation, I take such a leak as a Secretary Brown rejuvination. I am betting the video camw from someone very loyal to him with an axe to grind,....he got fired when Brown did.

As far as all it is about is bringing down the President now :lol: ...boo hoo :huh:

Oh I think you misread the situation, I take such a leak as a Secretary Brown rejuvination.  I am betting the video camw from someone very loyal to him with an axe to grind,....he got fired when Brown did.

As far as all it is about is bringing down the President now :huh: ...boo hoo  :doh:

616157[/snapback]

Glad you said it.

Only if they are confidential.

616136[/snapback]

That is what pisses me off more than anything. Confidential/classified information is continually making it to the press. Something like this does not have the same national security impact as, say, the CIA covert operations being done in Europe that the NYT and other news organizations decided to publish, but that is not my point. The point is little to no regard for confidential/classified information remaining just that: confidential/classified. It is more about vendettas and political maneuvering.

Disclaimer: No, I'm not being a Bush appologist.

What is not, and will not be taken into context are other conversations and VTC's that took place after this. Especially with NORTHCOM. That's all I'll say on that.

That is what pisses me off more than anything. Confidential/classified information is continually making it to the press. Something like this does not have the same national security impact as, say, the CIA covert operations being done in Europe that the NYT and other news organizations decided to publish, but that is not my point. The point is little to no regard for confidential/classified information remaining just that: confidential/classified. It is more about vendettas and political maneuvering.

616166[/snapback]

Ken, I understand your concern, but, I guess it has become so transparant when classified means something to hide politicallly that the press has become desensitized to that arguement and has always been cynical, thus they are much less likely to take such concerns as important, especially when the classifiers are also the leakers. The old Washington two step. Problem is everyone has learned to do it to punk rock music, and with new technology, at hyper speed.

616166[/snapback]

Or sometimes classifiers are just stupid:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/politics...87&nl=ep&emc=ep

616127[/snapback]

I think we all agree that Nagin and Blanco were at fault here, too, but how does their incompetence absolve Bush of his incompetence?

Ken, I understand your concern, but, I guess it has become so transparant when classified means something to hide politicallly that the press has become desensitized to that arguement and has always been cynical, thus they are much less likely to take such concerns as important, especially when the classifiers are also the leakers.  The old Washington two step.  Problem is everyone has learned to do it to punk rock music, and with new technology, at hyper speed.

616178[/snapback]

I was referring to actual CIA operations that could be blown in the media's haste to publish things to get sales. This has nothing to do with being cynical. It is just flat-out stupidity. Both the media and the leakers need to be held accountable and they need to come down hard. People's lives are at stake.

As far as these videos, there was nothing about context in these videos (as BiB mentioned, what other meetings did Bush have surrounding this video?). Without that, it is tough to make an informed decision.

I think we all agree that Nagin and Blanco were at fault here, too, but how does their incompetence absolve Bush of his incompetence?

616199[/snapback]

Where do I say anything about absolving Bush?