Going 3-4?

Mickey

Given our situation at DT, I really thought Adams wasn't going anywhere. Could this mean we are going to a 3-4? It is what we played throughout Marv's tenure as HC and it is being played by a lot of winning teams. On top of that, Ngata is supposed to be a prototype NT for a 3-4 defense. I think Crowel did a decent job last year, maybe we are deeper at LB than at DT so it makes sense to make the switch. In releasing Adams, Milloy and Campbell, Marv referred to the styles of offense and defense we were going to play and those guys not fitting in.

Are we going 3-4? Should we go 3-4?

Given our situation at DT, I really thought Adams wasn't going anywhere.  Could this mean we are going to a 3-4?  It is what we played throughout Marv's tenure as HC and it is being played by a lot of winning teams.  On top of that, Ngata is supposed to be a prototype NT for a 3-4 defense.  I think Crowel did a decent job last year, maybe we are deeper at LB than at DT so it makes sense to make the switch.  In releasing Adams, Milloy and Campbell, Marv referred to the styles of offense and defense we were going to play and those guys not fitting in. 

Are we going 3-4? Should we go 3-4?

615978[/snapback]

We're going to play a cover two, one gap style defense. Marv and JAuron have already talked about it publicly. The inside guys hold blockers and stuff the runs while the DE's are counted on to provide pressure from their outside gaps. There is essenstially one free/strong hybrid safety for each side of the field. The corners play agressively on the edges. This style also free's up the MLB to make plays. I wouldnt be surprised if Buffalo took a d-tackle first round and one of the many quality rush style DE's in the 2nd or 3rd to bolster the personell for this scheme. Adams and Milloy simply didnt fit this style and I believe Vincent could be next although he's cheap for a veteran so they may keep him.

you know, there is an outside chance we make our own 34 cover 2 type d.

blitzing and zone blitzing would be great because we can send just 4 or 5 and confuse the blockers (like how pitts does and we used to years ago).

just having a 3-4 wrinkle would be good as well.

i think aaron could play DE in the 3-4, but he would be targetted on a lot of running plays.

it all depends on who we sign, but i think we will get 2 or 3 new DTs (through FA and the draf) and along with edwards coming back will really improve us in the middle