A 7 Round mock I could live with

The Jokeman

It's always fun to see what others think we could do on draft day. I think for an outside source this is a pretty good one. I've included links to each players respective NFL Draft Countdown bios incase you wante to learn more about each player.

8. Buffalo Bills Michael Huff/S-DB/Texas

The Bills top preference would likely be offensive linemen, but there are no offensive linemen worth taking at this selection. The Bills have some age at safety, and there is a chance that Nate Clements could leave as a free agent. Both of those things make a versatile defensive back like Michael Huff a very attractive candidate with this pick.

42. Buffalo Bills Daryn Colledge/OT/Boise State

The Bills need an upgrade at left tackle and Colledge represents good value in this area of the draft.

70. Buffalo Bills (from Tennessee) Dominique Byrd/TE/USC

The Bills have a need at this position and Byrd would represent excellent value in this area of the draft.

73. Buffalo Bills Brian Calhoun/RB/Wisconsin (*)

The Bills could use a better running back to backup Willis McGahee.

104. Buffalo Bills Barry Cofield/DT/Northwestern

138. Buffalo Bills Matt Bernstein/FB/Wisconsin

168. Buffalo Bills Albert Toeaina/OT/Tennessee

199. Buffalo Bills Kevin Simon/ILB/Tennessee

Link to entire draft.

We used a 3rd rd pick on Kevin Everett last yr and a 4th on Euhus the previous yr....use that pick on the lines

612586[/snapback]

Reading over the 3rd round selections in that mock, the only guys I'd even consider would be Charles Spencer of Pittsburgh or Taitusi Lutui of USC. Spencer has some decent footwork and could possibly play LT in the pros, but I think he'll do better playing inside @ guard. He also wasn't very impressive @ the Senior Bowl. Given the layout of that round, there's no way I'd consider him over Byrd.

Now Lutui may be another story. It would be tough to pass on him in favor of Byrd.

I like the first 3 picks, Jokeman.  I also like Toeaina, but he's a risk due to character concerns.  Still, if he's past that stuff, he could be a late round steal.

612576[/snapback]

He is past that stuff....He can be a very dominating OL, so I would love him at 6. I also like the Simon pick too

Nice avatar, Steven.

612604[/snapback]

OK, so I want a darft that includes Simon, Mahelona (btw I was a Jesse fan way before he ever got on the scene), Gaither, Toeina and Allen. I would also like to call up Munoz's son and see if he wants a FA tryout with the Bills, but I am not bias.

Rich, the funny part about this discussion was for a LONG time, the Bills always selected at least one guy from TN. At one point, they had I believe 6 former UT players.

from the article:

The Bills top preference would likely be offensive linemen, but there are no offensive linemen worth taking at this selection.

612520[/snapback]

I think it's time we stop looking at what Mel Kiper and co. are going to judge us for and look at what's truly going to make this football team better. As I recall we've gotten some straight A's on draft day in the past and we've got plenty o' nuthin' to show for it.

Case in point: by all accounts Dwight Freeney was not a defensive end worth taking at No. 4 in the '02 draft. But he was a football player that made his defense, and his team, a lot more formidable. Levi Jones is the best OT from that same (McKinnie, MWilliams) draft, and he was a reach at 10 or 11 as I recall.

If there is an offensive lineman who will make this team considerably better, and he's supposed to go at 22 but we get him at No. 8, I couldn't care less about getting a B-minus from the pundits. I'm all for getting good value and trading down, but sometimes these things just don't or can't happen.

That said, if Michael Huff makes this defense way better and the O-line comes together in other ways, I'll be just as happy.

If there is an offensive lineman who will make this team considerably better, and he's supposed to go at 22 but we get him at No. 8, I couldn't care less about getting a B-minus from the pundits.  I'm all for getting good value and trading down, but sometimes these things just don't or can't happen.

612632[/snapback]

I agree. Many, coaches included, spout the "best available athlete" speil. If my home's roof is leaky, I'm not gonna spend my dough on energy-efficient windows that claim a promise of future savings... :rolleyes:

Reading over the 3rd round selections in that mock, the only guys I'd even consider would be Charles Spencer of Pittsburgh or Taitusi Lutui of USC.  Spencer has some decent footwork and could possibly play LT in the pros, but I think he'll do better playing inside @ guard.  He also wasn't very impressive @ the Senior Bowl.  Given the layout of that round, there's no way I'd consider him over Byrd.

Now Lutui may be another story.  It would be tough to pass on him in favor of Byrd.

612592[/snapback]

I'm warming up to Spencer due his combine performance, he's proving me to be a better athlete than I originally thought. Yet I agree with you and still view him as a G in the NFL.

I like the first 3 picks, Jokeman.  I also like Toeaina, but he's a risk due to character concerns.  Still, if he's past that stuff, he could be a late round steal.

612576[/snapback]

I don't think Toeaina is a character risk. His suspension from the Vols was, in my opinion, a reaction to a frustrating year in Knoxville and a weak effort to reestablish "discipline" in a team that had already left the barn. Toeaina did nothing worse than several other players upset by an unthinkable loss to Vanderbilt. He definitely took the brunt of the heat for tossing his helmet in the end zone after the Vandy game. This kid comes from a good family and really wants an opportunity to play.

I don't think Toeaina is a character risk.  His suspension from the Vols was, in my opinion, a reaction to a frustrating year in Knoxville and a weak effort to reestablish "discipline" in a team that had already left the barn.  Toeaina did nothing worse than several other players upset by an unthinkable loss to Vanderbilt.  He definitely took the brunt of the heat for tossing his helmet in the end zone after the Vandy game.  This kid comes from a good family and really wants an opportunity to play.

613768[/snapback]

I think many of the Vols players have something to prove after the disappointing season. I think the real steal will be Jason Allen. His injury will scare many, but he was playing at a high level prior to that!