Russia - U.S.A

millbank

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im counting down the minutes till the NHL starts again...do not know about all of you, but Im tired of this Olympic Break crap already

608114[/snapback]

I was just talking about that with on of my buddies at lunch, especially since the Sabres are not only playing well, but are fun to watch.

Im counting down the minutes till the NHL starts again...do not know about all of you, but Im tired of this Olympic Break crap already

608114[/snapback]

it's been an exciting olympics and the medal rounds will be fun to watch.

it's been an exciting olympics and the medal rounds will be fun to watch.

608125[/snapback]

Not when you are at work during the day and you know the score before you get home it isnt the same...plus Im tired of seeing the pros in the games, especially guys like Old Man Chelios

Not when you are at work during the day and you know the score before you get home it isnt the same...plus Im tired of seeing the pros in the games, especially guys like Old Man Chelios

608127[/snapback]

Why isn't Chelios playing for Team Greece :doh: lol

ahh

explain to me then how the Devils still have a team when they avg about 10 000 people per game, and winnipeg and quebec city who used to sell out have no team  :doh:

lmao

608142[/snapback]

Well you will not get much of an argument from me on that point (Im a Sabres fan as an FYI)...

I used to intern with the Devils...they are a very good organization make no mistake about that...but their location is terrible...too close to NYC...we all get NYC media converage here for the most part...of course they will not lead with the Devils...and that kills their chances of getting big attendence...

Bottom line: Take the NJ Devils of the last 10 years, move the players 6 miles away to MSG and give them Rangers jerseys...hockey is HUGE in NYC right now.

Partly, that is sad.

Well you will not get much of an argument from me on that point (Im a Sabres fan as an FYI)...

I used to intern with the Devils...they are a very good organization make no mistake about that...but their location is terrible...too close to NYC...we all get NYC media converage here for the most part...of course they will not lead with the Devils...and that kills their chances of getting big attendence...

Bottom line:  Take the NJ Devils of the last 10 years, move the players 6 miles away to MSG and give them Rangers jerseys...hockey is HUGE in NYC right now.

Partly, that is sad.

608147[/snapback]

i would seriously love to see Winnipeg and Quebec get a team again. The NHL is nuts trying to make fans out of markets where they don't even know what hockey is. Wtf is the point of putting a team in Phoenix, Carolina, Florida!!! Tampa is getting fans because they won the cup but San Jose is one of the only southern markets where hockey is surviving.

ahh

explain to me then how the Devils still have a team when they avg about 10 000 people per game, and winnipeg and quebec city who used to sell out have no team  :doh:

lmao

608142[/snapback]

do you think Winnipeg or Quebec City would sell many season tickets at $2600 US a pop.

do you think Winnipeg or Quebec City would sell many season tickets at $2600 US a pop.

608163[/snapback]

Those attendances you pm'ed me should also take into account that the Jets didn't have a competitive team. New Jersey on the other hand has been competitive since God knows when and still can't get fans to go to the games. Quebec city on the other hand had started to be good during the 90's and i'm sure if they would have had the same results as Colorado... that the fans would come to the games.

Pierre Maguire has stated himself that he would love to try and rebuild that franchise but obviously doesn't have the bankroll to do it.

5-4 Russia..Robert Esche is terrible

608104[/snapback]

Let's examine this:

1st Russia goal: Drury with awful turnover at blueline leading to breakaway goal by Korolyuk in which he dekes Esche.

2nd Russia goal: A cardinal copy except the Russians convert shorthanded on a perfectly executed give-and-go Malkin to Kasparaitis to Malkin for a slam dunk.

3rd Russia goal: Russia transitions the puck up the ice to Datsyuk who finds a wide open Markov, who blisters a shot inside the post. Maybe the only stoppable shot.

4th Russia goal: US turns over the puck and the puck is quickly thredded to Kovalev, who does his fake shot roof job inside the post that he pulled off in Game Six against the Devils 12 years ago. Virtually impossible to stop.

5th Russia goal: Another US turnover leads to a two-on-one textbook give-and-go play in which Malkin sets up Ovechkin on the doorstep for a slam dunk.

What I conclude from this is the US got burned by the Russians countering ability in this game. The US had double the chances but all it took were a few mistakes and with the Russians' skill, bang, bang! It's in the net.

It was nice to see Team USA play a spirited game though and find some offense. They can take that into the quarterfinal tomorrow against a tough Finland team.

P.S. Malkin is awesome!

if only koivu, kovalev, markov play as good for the Habs as they play in the Olympics, we'd actually have a chance at the playoffs.

608191[/snapback]

I hear ya. I am a big Kovy fan. He loves playing for his country. He wears the 'C' and plays like a leader. Look at that hit he had on Drury.

When he wants to play, he's one of the top five players in the world.

I have a lot of respect for Koivu. He has tremendous heart. And he's underrated in my book. Seems to have delivered more in the playoffs lately.

I hear ya. I am a big Kovy fan. He loves playing for his country. He wears the 'C' and plays like a leader. Look at that hit he had on Drury.

When he wants to play, he's one of the top five players in the world.

I have a lot of respect for Koivu. He has tremendous heart. And he's underrated in my book. Seems to have delivered more in the playoffs lately.

608195[/snapback]

Kovy is a great player, but plays when he wants to play as you said, and i'd say on average, he plays 1 out of every 5 games. Or else he just floats on the ice. Koivu spends more time partying in the clubs on st laurents than palying hockey, and although i commend him for his come back from cancer, but he won't bring us a cup as a captain of this team.

Kovy is a great player, but plays when he wants to play as you said, and i'd say on average, he plays 1 out of every 5 games.  Or else he just floats on the ice.  Koivu spends more time partying in the clubs on st laurents than palying hockey, and although i commend him for his come back from cancer, but he won't bring us a cup as a captain of this team.

608197[/snapback]

Well, the one thing I'll say for Alex is he really steps it up in big games. Other than that boneheaded play which put the Habs down 3-1 (and boy was that brutal), he was terrific in that series and instrumental in bringing them back against the B's.

That's kind of surprising about Saku. But it might explain his inconsistency. I still like him as a player.

As much as I hate the f'in No Goal Stars....they get very strong support...so i have to partly disagree with your comment.

608539[/snapback]

ya but dallas is different. although i didn't even think of dallas as being one of the teams that wouldn't survive, a hockey team in phoenix!!! come on lol

I could just imagine the youth. Let's go skate in the desert.