Another (Mock) Offseason

Acantha

Early bird version. I retain the right to call myself an idiot and make any changes deemed neccessary. **Updated 28FEB

Cut

Eric Moulds, Mark Campbell, Jeff Posey, Bennie Anderson, Ryan Neufield, Mike Williams

Restructure (Just tweak the contracts to open up some cap room)

London Fletcher

Takeo Spikes

Re-sign

Clements, Edwards, Denney, Thomas, Shneck, Peters, Aiken, Haggan, Stamer, Freddie Smith.

Cap Related

Using Clumpy's cap page and being VERY general with dollar amounts, I think after these moves the Bills are about 7 -8 mil under the cap. This includes "re-siging" Clements, not just franchising him.

Draft (5 rounds - Write-ups via NFLDraftCountdown)

1. Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon

2. Charles Spencer

3a. Anthony Fasano, TE, Notre Dame

3b. Anthony Smith, FS, Syracuse

4. Gerald Riggs, RB, Tennessee

5. Matt Bernstein, FB, Wisconsin

Free Agency (see explanation at bottom)

Antonio Bryant, WR

Kevin Shaffer, LT

Proably need another DE for depth along with another versatile O lineman for depth.

Depth Chart Rookie, FA

QB: Losman, Holcomb, Woodury

RB: McGahee, Riggs, Gates

WR: Bryant, Evans, Parrish, Aiken, Smith

TE: Everett, Fasano, Euhas

FB: Shelton, Bernstein

LT: Shaffer

LG: Spencer

C: Preston

RG: Villarial

RT: Peters

OL depth: Gandy, Geisinger, McFarland, Teague

DE: Schoebel, FA

DT: Adams, Edwards

DT: Ngata, Anderson

DE: Kelsay, Denney

LOLB: Crowell, Haggan

MLB: Fletcher, Ezekial

ROLB: Spikes, Stamer

CB: Clements, McGee, Vincent, King, Greer, Thomas

FS: Anthony Smith

SS: Milloy

Overview

Defense:

The starters on Defense are strong! The depth at LB is a bit scary, and Smith at FS will have a learning curve. I think the line and 3 strong CB's are capable of helping him along.

Offense:

The line is still the weakness, but it IS upgraded. Due to Mike Williams being cut and rumor that Preston may be the favorite to step in at Center, I have changed my draft/depth chart. Shaffer/Spencer on the left will be good and finally give JP some time to throw. I am not as down as many on Villarial, and think that he and Peters will be OKAY, but not great. From right to left the line is weak, and could certainly use some extra help.

Reggie Wayne is gone, so I changed WR to Bryant. While not as good, he could be a good compliment to Evans. We need to show Shaffer the money and get him here.

With another year under their belts, a slightly improved Oline, and strong WR/FB/TE combo, Losman and McGahee could have much better years.

* Alternatives

WR: Joe Jureviciuos or David Givens

DT: Ted Washington or Ryan Picket if the price is right (low)

Draft: Guards in 2nd round: Latui or Joseph

4th round: If there is another Guard capable of replacing Villarial that has dropped, take him. Think Setterstrom will go this far, Bill?? Haven't heard anything about him at the combine yet.

I like Mangold. He may last until the 2nd run of OL but I expect him to be a late 1st rounder...

607256[/snapback]

I know it's still way early but the closer we get to the draft it looks like his stock is slipping because he is a little undersized, however if we land him in round two I will go NUTS! After watching senior bowl practices I want this guy in a Bills Uni. I think too often people get caught up purely in the physical attributes of college players and not actually their play on the field. Gean-Jiles and Spencer do have ideal size to play on the interior but neither seemed to possess the Mean streak that Mangold seems to play with. Reminds me of a much more technically sound version of Jake Grove from last years draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.