Finland 2 Canada 0 end of first period

millbank

excuse my ignorance but if Canada loses today, do they still have a shot at the medal?

606851[/snapback]

The first four teams in each group will make the medal round Canada will do this as they will end up ahead of Germany and Italy. The worst they could do is end round tied with Germany but they decide a tie by goals differential which at this team is huge, Germany would need beat Finland by about 7 goals and the Russians beat the Canadians by 8 goals at present. Team U.S.A is in the same situation where Latvia could tie team U.S.A but the goals differential is 14. Weird things happen but its most unlikely either Canada or the U.S will be out of medal round

The first four teams in each group will make the medal round Canada will do this as they will end up ahead of Germany and Italy.  The worst they could do is end round tied with Germany but they decide a tie by goals differential which at this team is huge,  Germany would need beat Finland by about 7 goals and the Russians beat the Canadians by 8 goals at present.  Team U.S.A is in the same situation where Latvia  could tie team U.S.A but the goals differential is 14.  Weird things happen but its most unlikely either Canada or the U.S will be out of medal round

606855[/snapback]

actually they just said it on CBC

Canada is in.

oh well, there is always marbles, sewing or body contact rug hooking,

game over  Finland 2 - Canada 0

606863[/snapback]

quinn better have these guys ready for the next round.

Best goaltenders in the world and can't win a freaken game

606864[/snapback]

I wish I had put a little money on the Finns at 18-1 to win gold.

I think in the international game it is more important to have

defensemen that can skate.

606864[/snapback]

Honestly, there hasn't been much of a difference there. Look at the Swiss. Gerber and Aebischer have been stealing games. The Russians have Nabokov who's locked in. Slovakia has Budaj. He might not be in that class but given how Slovakia is playing in front of him, it makes it tougher to score. Team USA has DiPietro playing well. If only they could score. Sweden has Lundqvist, who just might be the hottest netminder in the game. The Czechs have Vokoun. Even though he hasn't established himself yet, he's a top 5 or 6 goalie and led the Czechs to the World Championship last year over Canada. Finland has Niitymaki in a zone and they play a grind it out style and make their opponents beat them.

So, with the goalie field leveled, it comes down to who can finish plays. Canada isn't. That's why they lost the last two.

Honestly, there hasn't been much of a difference there. Look at the Swiss. Gerber and Aebischer have been stealing games. The Russians have Nabokov whose locked in. Slovakia has Budaj. He might not be in that class but given how Slovakia is playing in front of him, it makes it tougher to score. Team USA has DiPietro playing well. If only they could score. Sweden has Lundqvist, who just might be the hottest netminder in the game. The Czechs have Vokoun. Even though he hasn't established himself yet, he's a top 5 or 6 goalie and led the Czechs to the World Championship last year over Canada. Finland has Niitymaki in a zone and they play a grind it out style and make their opponents beat them.

So, with the goalie field leveled, it comes down to who can finish plays. Canada isn't. That's why they lost the last two.

607033[/snapback]

i know

but we were still the heavy favorite... ah well we shall see what happens

i know

but we were still the heavy favorite... ah well we shall see what happens

607113[/snapback]

And as well your country should be. Look at the firepower up front:

Sakic, Thornton, Iginla, Nash, Bertuzzi, Heatley, Gagne, Richards, Lecavalier, St. Louis

And on the blueline:

Pronger, Blake, Redden, McCabe

They just are snake bit right now.

For the record, I picked Sweden over the Czechs with Canada third. Watch out for the Russians. Nobody's talking about them but they are explosive.

Pretty bad tournament really. Just not enough time to get a real "team" together. Crapshoot. Canada has the best team. The most depth. 4 great lines. Just no time to get familiar with each other. Any of these teams with a hot goalie could steal it. But honestly, I have minimal regard for the Olympic hockey tourney format or its results.