Top 10 available after the "Big 6" are gone

With our first pick, I'd like to see us take DT, not OT, because I'd rather the OT starters have NFL experience. Therefore I'd be bitter if we took anyone with the word "Winston" in their name with our #8.

If Ngata is not there --which could easily happen--it frees up one of several guys that could help us this year. None of these (with the possible exception of DaBrick) will be O-Line help. I'm pretty sure ML and DJ aren't going to start a rookie at OT.

Watch for a FA signing --or 2-- on the O-line, at least one of whom would start.

Also just maybe, Oline and Dline just might get help in free agency. Oline or Dine does not have to be addressed with the 1st pick, and I'm one of the biggest "line of scrimmage bitches" out there. It's still too early to be screaming "we have to do this" just yet.

So if i'm Buffalo at 8, I would take Vernon Davis if he's there over Haloti Ngata. I feel that we can get a DT (or two) in FA. But you don't get a chance at a PREMIER TE often. You have to be picking high to take a guy like him and if you're a beast TE, your team doesn't let you go like they would a DT. I know Davis hasn't played a down in the NFL, but he is just explosive! He's being compared to Antonio Gates and he's the best TE prospect in years.

601918[/snapback]

An excellent post. I like your thinking: that you should go with the guy who has a chance of greatness, instead of a merely competent player who fills your most urgent need.

I feel the Bills should be working to create good pass protection, but as you point out, if Da Brick is off the boards, they'd be better served waiting until the 2nd or 3rd rounds to go OL. But once you have good pass protection, you need to put it to use. That's where an elite TE could come in.

Look at San Diego. If memory serves, their lines were a mess a few years ago. Do you think anyone there wishes they'd taken a merely competent DT or OL instead of Antonio Gates?

Tight End Davis is very tempting, but I gotta go with Ngata. After the defensive tackle/offensive line problem, TE is probably our biggest need...but the DT Offensive line situation is one that HAS to be top priority.

601954[/snapback]

Exactly. We need to create holes for RB's and give QB time to throw. Also, stop the run !!!! Please not a 6' 2 TE no matter how good. Please address the lines .

Ah, ignorrance is truly bliss isn't it?

It's so easy to say, "We need lineman! Me Tarzan, ooh ohh!". But whom?

All you have to do is look at my avatar to see that i'd LOVE to have a lineman. But the bottom line is, Ferguson and Williams won't be there.

So who then all knowing "HAMMER07"? Haloti Ngata? Winston Justice?

Do you know what the drop-off between Ngata and Gabe Watson or Claude Wroten is? Not much. And the latter can be had in the 2nd. And how about the drop off between Winston Justice and Marcus McNeil, Jon Scott, or Max-Jean Gilles? Not much. Same applies here.

And for all you Haloti Ngata fans out there, how many of you have seen him play? I'd say 30% of you at best. You're all just enamored with the fact that we can take the "top-rated DT" in the draft. But i've seen him play when he's healthy (and he's not right now) and let me tell you, he's GREATLY overrated. Geesh, all you had to do was watch Oregon's bowl game to figure that out.

Don't get me wrong, he's good. Maybe better than anything we have right now. But he's not that good. 

The bottom line is this: there are only 2 lineman worth taking at 8. The problem being, the rest of the league knows this and D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Mario Williams will be LONG gone (as much as I want them both). So you take Vernon Davis or you take Michael Huff. You still have 3 picks left on Day 1 to load up on lineman. Hell, maybe you trade back into round 1 from round 2 or round 2 from 3. But i'd much rather have Davis and Watson then Ngata.

602072[/snapback]

This post makes me laugh. How much film do you watch ??? There's not much of a drop off between Ngata, Wroten or Watson ? How do you know ? There's not much of a drop-off between Justice, McNeil, Scott or Gilles ? Again, what makes you an expert ? Reading all of these draft pubs ? What Makes Davis so special ? He is great in the weight room and may have great potential. But many experts, such as yourself, think there is not "much" of a drop-off between the first 3-5 TE's. I'll leave it up to the scouts, who may even have better insight than you but a good line (Def. and Off.)will make the whole team look that much better. We have quite possibly the worst OL in football and you want an undersized TE who may not even know how to spell Buffalo. Give me the 15th best player at OL or DL rather than the 8th best player at a position that is not our most pressing need.

If we can't stop the run... our TE isn't much use when he is on the sideline.

Everyone knows it. But at 8 we need to look elsewhere. Say no to Ngata and say no to Justice. If you want them or someone like them, trade down. They're jusy not worth it from where we're standing.

601918[/snapback]

Free agency plays a BIG part as to what we do in the draft. As things stand now, I'd go after DE Kiwi, DT Ngata and S Huff in that order. Though I suspect we'll make an attempt to get a DT in free agency, my name of choice is Ryan Pickett which would make Ngata fall off my list. While Kiwi's stock has fallen due to a "poor" showing in the Senior Bowl but he'd definately give us a fearsome front four if we have Schobel, Adams and Pickett are in the fold as been said in other posts part of what make a great cover 2 is the ability of the front four to provide a pass rush which we have lacked. Also with Milloy and Vincent on the wrong side of 30 and the questions about the long term status of Nate sticking around make Huff that much appealing too. Yet at the same time a trade down definately is a possiblity as well so long we can find a partner.