China radar at South Pole...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But hardly suprising, considering the source.  You know what Antarctic-based Chinese antisatellite lasers that can shoot through the earth and Santa Claus have in common?  They both exist at high latitudes, and they're both figments of your !@#$ing imagination!

604706[/snapback]

The first person to lead an expedition to the South Pole was Roald Amundsen from Norway.

The second (by about a month) was Robert Falcon Scott (from GB) but he and the rest of his team never made it back.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

The second (by about a month) was Robert Falcon Scott (from GB) but he and the rest of his team never made it back.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

604736[/snapback]

A clown shot them with a laser? hit them with a plank? These remain mysteries.

A clown shot them with a laser? hit them with a plank? These remain mysteries.

604742[/snapback]

No, Scott just didn't bring enough food. So they all ended up too weak to go on and froze to death in their tent (after giving up).

This is exactly why I carry plenty of snacks with me whereever I go - Rice Krispy Treats mostly.

No, please explain.

And what does this have to do with Cheney??

604753[/snapback]

Simple. If you can see the equator from the pole, you can see the pole from the equator. Unless there's some new physical principle at work that says such ray paths are no longer gauge-invariant...which is a distinct possibility, given we're well into the minutae of the Newbieverse here...

No, Scott just didn't bring enough food.  So they all ended up too weak to go on and froze to death in their tent (after giving up).

This is exactly why I carry plenty of snacks with me whereever I go - Rice Krispy Treats mostly.

604752[/snapback]

Why didn't they just eat the clowns? Did the Chinese get them first?

Tom, I didn’t say anything about Geosynchronous in my example because they have to be about 23,000 miles out for a 23 hr 56 min rotation.  For the example I gave myself the widest berth to be right. The furthest earth or geo obiter that I read about was 50,000 to 60,000 miles out. Turns out at the very least the pole or platform would have to be over 250 miles high to observe a obiter around the equator from the South pole.

604640[/snapback]

My name is not Tom, and you said "Geo" orbit. What exactly does that mean to you? To anyone in the space business, it means "geosynchronous". In the context of this <ridiculous> thread, nothing outside of Geo means anything. Beyond that altitude, the missions are non-Earth scientific and/or interplanetary in nature. A polar orbit as highly eliptical as your moronic example would be unstable. There is a reason currently orbiting polar birds are circular.

So brainiac, what is this mission of which you speak that is HEO, polar, and has an apogee of 60000 miles and a perigee of 4000 miles. I'm dying to know. Is your last name Kepler per chance?

My name is not Tom, and you said "Geo" orbit.  What exactly does that mean to you?  To anyone in the space business, it means "geosynchronous".  In the context of this <ridiculous> thread, nothing outside of Geo means anything.  Beyond that altitude, the missions are non-Earth scientific and/or interplanetary in nature.  A polar orbit as highly eliptical as your moronic example would be unstable.  There is a reason currently orbiting polar birds are circular.

So brainiac, what is this mission of which you speak that is HEO, polar, and has an apogee of 60000 miles and a perigee of 4000 miles.  I'm dying to know.  Is your last name Kepler per chance?

604791[/snapback]

ok tom

But is he wearing a clown suit, balancing on a plank on the South Pole?

604818[/snapback]

Why yes I am, how'd you guess? And on the way down South, I stopped by Office Max to pick up a dozen or so laser pointers. I'm a-huntin' them thar satalight thingys today...