Suspense movies, thrillers, horror flicks

that uses elements of a haunted house movie but it turns out that it's all in the character's head or their past, and the house isn't haunted at all? Just need some data for a project I am doing, and I need to watch a few DVDs. I am sure there are a few but it's not a genre I am really familiar with. Thanks in advance. Let me know if you thought it was effective, too.

There are a few films discussed below, so if you are a fan of the genres and don't want to see some plots and endings of a few films let out of the bag, don't read on. You could still add your suggestion to the question though. 0:)

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that uses elements of a haunted house movie but it turns out that it's all in the character's head, and the house isn't haunted at all. Just need some data for a project I am doing, and I need to watch a few DVDs. I am sure there are a few but it's not a genre I am really familiar with. Thanks in advance. Let me know if you thought it was effective, too.

590052[/snapback]

Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 911" stands out... 0:)

that uses elements of a haunted house movie but it turns out that it's all in the character's head, and the house isn't haunted at all. Just need some data for a project I am doing, and I need to watch a few DVDs. I am sure there are a few but it's not a genre I am really familiar with. Thanks in advance. Let me know if you thought it was effective, too.

590052[/snapback]

"The Others" ?????

...with Nicole Kidman. not sure if that fits your requirement. I saw this movie awhile ago and i don't remember it exactly. she thinks the house is haunted.....is the house haunted? yes...but she ends up actually being the ghost.

"The Others" ?????

...with Nicole Kidman.  not sure if that fits your requirement.  I saw this movie awhile ago and i don't remember it exactly.  she thinks the house is haunted.....is the house haunted? yes...but she ends up actually being the ghost.

590060[/snapback]

Cool. Thanks. I will watch that one. I had read that it was pretty decent, although I never saw it. You're right, it doesn't completely fit the criterion but pretty close. Thanks again.

Cool. Thanks. I will watch that one. I had read that it was pretty decent, although I never saw it. You're right, it doesn't completely fit the criterion but pretty close. Thanks again.

590075[/snapback]

geez....hope i didn't ruin it for you. 0:)

0:) Pretty effective, too, as far as horror flicks go.

590059[/snapback]

:doh:

To your query...I dunno. There were numerous old B&W' flicks with the general theme of driving wifey nuts with contrived spooks.

There was a really powerful one with Maurice Chevalier as the lead - no ghosts though - a study in manipulation and mental cruelty.

Perhaps take a glance at the IMBD site?

People around here really like spoiling things, don't they? Could have at least put a spoiler warning ahead of time, or changed the color to something unreadable, or whatnot.

*sigh*

Glad I already saw the movie.

I liked Ju-On (or the US re-make, Grudge). Not sure if it exactly fits your request, but it was definately creepy and not just a "monster in the house" type of thing.

Sixth Sense is a classic.

CW

People around here really like spoiling things, don't they?  Could have at least put a spoiler warning ahead of time, or changed the color to something unreadable, or whatnot.

*sigh*

Glad I already saw the movie.

I liked Ju-On (or the US re-make, Grudge).  Not sure if it exactly fits your request, but it was definately creepy and not just a "monster in the house" type of thing.

Sixth Sense is a classic.

CW

590100[/snapback]

Thanks. I will check out Ju On. And will go back and edit the first post to warn people not to read if they don't want some flicks spoiled for them.

Identity.  Not a haunted house, but definately a haunted mind.

590123[/snapback]

Actually I watched that and fell asleep before the end. Not because it sucked but more because I was dead tired. I think I will watch it again. I know I saw over an hour or more of it. There probably were 4-5 of them dead by then.

that uses elements of a haunted house movie but it turns out that it's all in the character's head or their past, and the house isn't haunted at all? Just need some data for a project I am doing, and I need to watch a few DVDs. I am sure there are a few but it's not a genre I am really familiar with. Thanks in advance. Let me know if you thought it was effective, too.

There are a few films discussed below, so if you are a fan of the genres and don't want to see some plots and endings of a few films let out of the bag, don't read on. You could still add your suggestion to the question though. :lol:

590052[/snapback]

0:):doh:

A valid exception to the rule, but the timing is amusing. :D

Actually I watched that and fell asleep before the end. Not because it sucked but more because I was dead tired. I think I will watch it again. I know I saw over an hour or more of it. There probably were 4-5 of them dead by then.

590135[/snapback]

It's not the greatest flick, but it didn't suck, either. Not a bad friday night Thai take-out and beers movie. I usually pick up on stuff pretty quick but this one had me fooled.

Not completely a "haunted house" flick, but The Village had somewhat of the twist you're looking for.

I'll probably think of others, but I turn my brain off when I leave work (just use the stem to drive, eat, drink, breathe, talk to my wife) and I won't turn it back on until I drink a cup of mud in the AM. Maybe something will hit me. I've seen a ton of celluloid.

It's not the greatest flick, but it didn't suck, either.  Not a bad friday night Thai take-out and beers movie.  I usually pick up on stuff pretty quick but this one had me fooled.

Not completely a "haunted house" flick, but The Village had somewhat of the twist you're looking for.

I'll probably think of others, but I turn my brain off when I leave work (just use the stem to drive, eat, drink, breathe, talk to my wife) and I won't turn it back on until I drink a cup of mud in the AM.  Maybe something will hit me.  I've seen a ton of celluloid.

590150[/snapback]

The Village I saw coming from two villages away, and I am not all that good at predicting outcomes of stuff like a lot of moviegoers are. For some reason on that one I always assumed that's what was going on.

To the extent a film containing a "non-linear narrative" presentation is responsive to your request, my favorite film of this type is Memento. Below is a review of the film discussing the technique. If you haven't seen the film, you must rent it immediately.

I should add that the review may be viewed as a spoiler.

Memento Review

To the extent a film containing a "non-linear narrative" presentation is responsive to your request, my favorite film of this type is Memento.  Below is a review of the film discussing the technique.  If you haven't seen the film, you must rent it immediately. 

I should add that the review may be viewed as a spoiler.

Memento Review

590165[/snapback]

Memento was excellent. I was thinking more of a film that follows along familiar plot devices of a classic haunted house movie, but it turns out "the house" is "the head". Or the character's past that is haunting him or her, and not the house. Like he or she thinks there are things happening in the house but they are just memories or flashbacks to something that happened there before. Maybe there aren't any. I just assumed there were several.

Charlie Chans Secret. Classic from the 30's

Winnie the Pooh, Just say Boo

Topper - Old Cary Grant Movie btw there was also a Topper Returns (I think)

The man who haunted himself - An old Roger Moore flick might be what you need

Also Vertigo, and of course one of my favorites, Harvey. 0:)