Bates not worth huge contract

el Tigre

I'f I'm RW there's no way I pay Bates 1 million plus to be my DC. We just hired a HC who's expertise is in defense. Jauron should have final call on all defensive decisions. I would rather have a younger,up and comer working with Jauron. A guy with Bates years of experience is bound to have strong ideas of his own which may not mesh with Jaurons. Unless Jauron and Bates had a strong,previous working relationship,like say Cowher and Lebeau,I just don't see it working.

Of course, because Jauron fielded such a dominating defense in Jacksonville. Bates has proven himself on the Dolphins and Packers. Jauron...less impressive.

586834[/snapback]

Jaurons defensive coaching for the Jags is what got him the Chicago HC job. As I remember,they were pretty strong on D. I know Bates is a competent DC,but I don't know that he's fielded any truly dominating defenses.You people are making Bates sound like he's the second coming of Vince Lombardi.

I thought Marv didn't hire Sherman because Sherman wanted to run the offense and ne HC. On NFL network Marv said Jauron has the same idea as him for being a head coach to hire good coordinator. Becaue a HC's job is to manger the team no run a Offense or Def.

Jaurons defensive coaching for the Jags is what got him the Chicago HC job. As I remember,they were pretty strong on D. I know Bates is a competent DC,but I don't know that he's fielded any truly dominating defenses.You people are making Bates sound like he's the second coming of Vince Lombardi.

586853[/snapback]

The fact that Jacksonville got into the playoffs is what got Jauron the Chicago gig. His defense ranked somewhere in the middle (like 13th, 15th, and one I can't remember).

I'f I'm RW there's no way I pay Bates 1 million plus to be my DC. We just hired a HC who's expertise is in defense. Jauron should have final call on all defensive decisions. I would rather have a younger,up and comer working with Jauron. A guy with Bates years of experience is bound to have strong ideas of his own which may not mesh with Jaurons. Unless Jauron and Bates had a strong,previous working relationship,like say Cowher and Lebeau,I just don't see it working.

586829[/snapback]

That's all we've had is young up and comers. The problem is that they've all down and went.

That's all we've had is young up and comers.  The problem is that they've all down and went.

586898[/snapback]

The proper place for a younger coach,on this team, is as a coordinator under an experienced HC. Our recent problem has been inexperienced HC's. What if Bates and Jauron just aren't always on the same page? Then what? You have 2 55+ coaches,set in their ways, with at least 40 years of coaching experience pulling the D in different directions. Unless Jauron and Bates met and really hit it off and were completely on the same page,I would rather take the younger coach.Jauron is a very competent defensive coach,let the DC defer to him. If the interview went that well,money wouldn't be the issue to Bates and he'd already be here.

The proper place for a younger coach,on this team, is as a coordinator under an experienced HC. Our recent problem has been inexperienced HC's. What if Bates and Jauron just aren't always on the same page? Then what? You have 2 55+ coaches,set in their ways, with at least 40 years of coaching experience pulling the D in different directions. Unless Jauron and Bates met and really hit it off and were completely on the same page,I would rather take the younger coach.Jauron is a very competent defensive coach,let the DC defer to him. If the interview went that well,money wouldn't be the issue to Bates and he'd already be here.

586928[/snapback]

Nicely said.