It is going to be hilarious

eball

...because from the sound of all you gloom-and-doomers, if "the great" Jim Bates does not accept the Bills' offer to become DC, it will just be a bunch of players out there running around with no rhyme or reason like the Keystone Kops.

Come to think of it, that's sort of what it was like this past season.

I must be incredibly naive, because I would still be willing to bet that even if the sky falls and the earth caves in beneath our feet (translation -- "the great" Jim Bates declines the DC offer), there are probably still a couple of guys out there who could probably do a half decent job of running a defense for an NFL team.

I really hope some of you don't go and hang yourselves over these "worrisome" developments.

Geesh.

...because from the sound of all you gloom-and-doomers, if "the great" Jim Bates does not accept the Bills' offer to become DC, it will just be a bunch of players out there running around with no rhyme or reason like the Keystone Kops.

Come to think of it, that's sort of what it was like this past season.

I must be incredibly naive, because I would still be willing to bet that even if the sky falls and the earth caves in beneath our feet (translation -- "the great" Jim Bates declines the DC offer), there are probably still a couple of guys out there who could probably do a half decent job of running a defense for an NFL team.

I really hope some of you don't go and hang yourselves over these "worrisome" developments.

Geesh.

585532[/snapback]

don't forget the loss of sam wyche (which hasn't even been confirmed yet by the bills).......that was HUGE!

It's all good...  they still have this guy and no, its not another shameless pixyland link

585544[/snapback]

You know what i find unusual is that Lester has LB coaching experience and was a LB coach at one point, and is now Defensive Asst. Isnt that sort of a demotion? I mean, isnt that akin to a quality control role (breaking down film, handing out the playbooks, fetching coffee for the other coaches, etc)?

I for one don't believe the bills defense is all that bad. Two defensive tackles and we have a playoff contender on D this next season. The defensive coaching was bizarre this season (and the loss of Spikes was a very tough break). As has been pointed out we have aging safeties, but they are still pretty good. I think a good DC could do very well here.

You know what i find unusual is that Lester has LB coaching experience and was a LB coach at one point, and is now Defensive Asst. Isnt that sort of a demotion? I mean, isnt that akin to a quality control role (breaking down film, handing out the playbooks, fetching coffee for the other coaches, etc)?

585573[/snapback]

He was a LB coach when the Bills had a LB coach promoted to DC. He is an expert at film breakdown and no matter what title he has been given, he has continued the same role. He does not seem to care about title very much as long as he can do his job. I spoke to him at camp once and he seemed like one of those people who like to stay low profile.

He was a LB coach when the Bills had a LB coach promoted to DC.  He is an expert at film breakdown and no matter what title he has been given, he has continued the same role.  He does not seem to care about title very much as long as he can do his job.  I spoke to him at camp once and he seemed like one of those people who like to stay low profile.

585653[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. He must do a hell of a job having survived so many years through the different coaching regimes. I even recall a few years back when Cotrell became DC for the Jets that he wanted to bring Lester with him and name him LB coach there, but either Chuck refused or was denied, dont recall which one.

Thanks for the info. He must do a hell of a job having survived so many years through the different coaching regimes. I even recall a few years back when Cotrell became DC for the Jets that he wanted to bring Lester with him and name him LB coach there, but either Chuck refused or was denied, dont recall which one.

585728[/snapback]

Lester turned down the job. Made comments favorable to Buffalo and said no thank you.