top notch coordinators are the key

drhockey

Listening to that press conference was definitely interesting. I'm glad that the media finally had the stones to press the Bills a bit on their supposed logic in their choice. I think that's why they cut it a bit short.

Anyway, DJ has to hire a couple of great coordinators to have any chance at this. He/They need to make a big splash with the two in my opinion. I mean, just look across the way at the fish. They have now installed Capers and MM on their staff. Say what you want about MM, but in a reduced role in Miami he just might be much better off and able to do some damage. He'll certainly be familiar with dismantling the Bills swiss cheese D. And, Capers is a fine DC; we all know that.

So, Saban has appointed two former head coaches to his coordinator positions. I feel DJ has to try to do the same in essence. Not to say that this is the way to go or that it would even work, but something on the level of Bates as DC and Martz as OC would certainly send a message to the fans that the Bills mean business this time around. No more experiments with unproven guys.

If DJ and Co. end up bringing in a couple of no names from DJs past or guys that have been "recommended" to Marv based on some crappy connection he has, then we're in complete trouble.

I'm not too optimistic to say the least....

I expect they will bring in complete idiots who will do nothing but waste any and all talent currently on the roster while bringing in nothing bust high-priced, crappy players.

No more dissappointment for me.

I expect they will bring in complete idiots who will do nothing but waste any and all talent currently on the roster while bringing in nothing bust high-priced, crappy players.

No more dissappointment for me.

580519[/snapback]

You know, there’s genius in that line of thought. Expect the very, very worst from this team and you’ll never be disappointed. I like it!

Listening to that press conference was definitely interesting.  I'm glad that the media finally had the stones to press the Bills a bit on their supposed logic in their choice.  I think that's why they cut it a bit short.

Anyway,  DJ has to hire a couple of great coordinators to have any chance at this.  He/They need to make a big splash with the two in my opinion.  I mean, just look across the way at the fish. They have now installed Capers and MM on their staff.  Say what you want about MM, but in a reduced role in Miami he just might be much better off and able to do some damage.  He'll certainly be familiar with dismantling the Bills swiss cheese D.  And, Capers is a fine DC; we all know that.

So, Saban has appointed two former head coaches to his coordinator positions.  I feel DJ has to try to do the same in essence.  Not to say that this is the way to go or that it would even work, but something on the level of Bates as DC and Martz as OC would certainly send a message to the fans that the Bills mean business this time around.  No more experiments with unproven guys.

If DJ and Co. end up bringing in a couple of no names from DJs past or guys that have been "recommended" to Marv based on some crappy connection he has, then we're in complete trouble.

I'm not too optimistic to say the least....

580501[/snapback]

Um, no. A top-notch HC merely tells those subordinate positions what to do. A good HC calls the shots, and the subordinates do that bidding. They must be only on the payroll to dance to the HC's edicts. Consider a HC to be a civilian equivalent of a military General - a fighting man with an army at his disposal.

This era of delegation of coaching responsibliliy has lead to idiotic playcallling. It's useful in other businesses, but the football business is an emotional thing with a one hour time limit to perform.

For other businesses, yes. For sports, no. One leader.

Listen, i'm not saying that's what i expect or that is what they will do. We all know that they end up doing the opposite of what we, as fans, want. But the reality of it is that they seem to be aware of the local backlash for the head coach selection, so it would be in their best interest to sooth the public in some way. Making a big splash with the coordinators, in my opinion, would be the way to go.

I'm also not saying that we could attract someone that high profile, but in order to keep up with the Jones' so to speak, there needs to be some proven commodity on this staff. Will they do it, probably not.

I'm getting numb to all of this anyway. I hit a low yesterday when the news first broke, so now i'm in a damage control state of mind. More or less, a "what can they do to make a positive out of this mess" way of thinking.

Right now, this move is a snowball (a large one at that) that is starting to quickly grow in size. With the addition of unproven coordinators, it could grow exponentially and run right over the admin building at OBD.