"System's don't win, players do."

portisizzle

:D

579731[/snapback]

You are just hooked up on the fact that we have few all pros on the defense and with that fact you assume we have a bunch of chumps that are playing great under just this system.

Your thoughts about what makes a great player is different than what Greg Williams thinks is a great player. Who is wrong.

:lol:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does the bling bling matter?

579742[/snapback]

:D:lol:

Come on, Marv. Now you're just being silly.

Coaches win games on game day, not rookie GMs. We need better players, no question about it. But I can't believe a long-time Skins fan can make an arument that talented coaching just doesn't matter.

Check back to us after Gibbs retires and Grego's your new head man.  We'll keep the lights on for you.

579680[/snapback]

You mean when Al Saunders in in full swing in our offense, Williams has three - four years with one team, and Gibbs is running our front office like Levy is doing now??

Suggestion for you, if I may?

Keep up you end of the bargain and let Levy do his job and we can have lunch before we both meet in the Superbowl.

K? :D

:D  :lol:

Come on, Marv.  Now you're just being silly.

Coaches win games on game day, not rookie GMs.  We need better players, no question about it.  But I can't believe a long-time Skins fan can make an arument that talented coaching just doesn't matter.

579770[/snapback]

IMO? You just need better offensive line play (so my brother says) and you need to allow J.P. to play some football without someone looking over his shoulder.

And you guys seem to be mixing up the term "talented coaching" with "system". Do you know what the difference is? Because I do not see how you can make that statement to me and at the same time have read what I wrote......

Despite the fact that Kelly's offense looked a lot like a sandlot team, "Marv's" offensive team of the 90s thrived in old Teddy's "system."  Too bad Walt Corey didn't have a system (o.k., a good system) or we might have a few SB banners hanging at the Ralph.

579714[/snapback]

Kelly's run and shoot offense took advantage of defenses who had never saw anything like it. No way does this mean it was not organized. :D

No, the Redskins defense example reinforced Levys point. You get the right players and they can play in any system. The right player, BTW, is not always the superstar talented free agent.

579724[/snapback]

No problem with that. But I'll take Joe Gibbs over ML any day of the week. HC, GM, Nascar owner, dog catcher.

Marv's got a very limited (to nonexistent) track record of stocking a team from a player personnel standpoint and now we have a one-year-wonder of a HC (with a dubious track record for picking coordinators) and you think the Bills situation is remotely akin to the Skins situation?

And don't forget Danny-boy and his fat checkbook vis-a-vis RW and his Prozac and laxatives. Man, I just think you're still star struck from having a good season in DC after a dry spell. Let's see how Grego's D looks next year after the league has a year to get ready for it.

Welcome, Portisizzle.

I too live in Redskins country and am very impressed by the job that GW has done as your DC. However with that said, there is a difference between being a fine coordinator and a great head coach. Much of that comes down to personality and the ability to delegate, which I've always felt were the reasons why GW was a failure as the Bills' head coach. That doesn't mean that he can't be another Belichick and learn from his first go-round.

However, even in Washington, he plays the bad cop to Joe Gibbs' good cop, which has always been a pattern for Gibbs. In that way, Gibbs has always managed to somewhat distance himself from the dirty work, while allowing his assistants to handle that for him. Meanwhile, Gibbs himself is so strong at the PR game, that he normally deflects criticism well. (Think about the Arrington dealings early this season -- as well as the Portis situation in preseason.) This showcases Gibbs' delegation skills, but it doesn't always set his assistants up to succeed. For example, as successful as Gibbs has been, he never really had any proteges follow in his footsteps.

Welcome, Portisizzle.

I too live in Redskins country and am very impressed by the job that GW has done as your DC. However with that said, there is a difference between being a fine coordinator and a great head coach. Much of that comes down to personality and the ability to delegate, which I've always felt were the reasons why GW was a failure as the Bills' head coach. That doesn't mean that he can't be another Belichick and learn from his first go-round.

However, even in Washington, he plays the bad cop to Joe Gibbs' good cop, which has always been a pattern for Gibbs. In that way, Gibbs has always managed to somewhat distance himself from the dirty work, while allowing his assistants to handle that for him. Meanwhile, Gibbs himself is so strong at the PR game, that he normally deflects criticism well. (Think about the Arrington dealings early this season -- as well as the Portis situation in preseason.) This showcases Gibbs' delegation skills, but it doesn't always set his assistants up to succeed. For example, as successful as Gibbs has been, he never really had any proteges follow in his footsteps.

579833[/snapback]

Food for thought regarding this post. We had the chance to chat with Gregg William as well. Here is a question that goes to your assertion.

Gregg Williams Chat

From bpoch

What have you been able to learn from Coach Gibbs that you feel can help you when you decide to become a head coach again?

Gregg Williams:

Quote:

The top thing I’ve learned is to make sure that I surround myself with quality people, and them being able to handle things that you can’t handle yourself. More specifically, like having a coach be in charge administratively of things that I don’t want to do which would take me away from actually coaching the players. I desperately want to always be involved with coaching the players – I think I am pretty decent at doing that. As a head coach the first time around, I wasn’t able to do that as much as I would have liked. He’s hired enough staff and enough help to make sure that he is still involved in day-to-day coaching duties and that is what I’ll do the next time too.

Food for thought regarding this post. We As a head coach the first time around, I wasn’t able to do that as much as I would have liked. He’s hired enough staff and enough help to make sure that he is still involved in day-to-day coaching duties and that is what I’ll do the next time too.

579848[/snapback]

So you think RW is going to open up his wallet and pay $$$ for some more talented assistants? Good Lord, we're doomed.

No problem with that.  But I'll take Joe Gibbs over ML any day of the week.  HC, GM, Nascar owner, dog catcher.

Marv's got a very limited (to nonexistent) track record of stocking a team from a player personnel standpoint and now we have a one-year-wonder of a HC (with a dubious track record for picking coordinators) and you think the Bills situation is remotely akin to the Skins situation? 

And don't forget Danny-boy and his fat checkbook vis-a-vis RW and his Prozac and laxatives.  Man, I just think you're still star struck from having a good season in DC after a dry spell.  Let's see how Grego's D looks next year after the league has a year to get ready for it.

579831[/snapback]

Well, I am not going to argue with your logic here. Gibbs is a HOF coach who won three rings with three separate QB's.

However, can you think of a HC that went to four straight Superbowls? No. And give or take a few plays in two of those four games and you would not be so hard of Levy.

Levy is a great leader. You do not give him enough credit.

So you think RW is going to open up his wallet and pay $$$ for some more talented assistants?    Good Lord, we're doomed.

579853[/snapback]

I admit, we have a boat load of "chiefs" on our team. I don't think it was all that expensive once you get past Williams, Saunders, Gibbs. Who knows.

Just curious, do you think Losman is ready to be a NFL QB? Is he your future?

Levy is a great leader. You do not give him enough credit.

579857[/snapback]

How many GMs can you name that have made adjustments at halftime to win a close game? Or devised a game plan that can win a playoff game?

ML's a great guy, but his experience as a HC does not automatically translate to success in his new role.

Just curious, do you think Losman is ready to be a NFL QB? Is he your future?

579865[/snapback]

I think JP can be an effective starter with a little more seasoning. But if we don't significantly upgrade the O-line, it won't be with the Bills.

but his experience as a HC does not AUTOMATICALLY translate to success in his new role.

579866[/snapback]

Quoted and amended for emphasis.

And my question. What GM hire would translate into "immediate" success.

My opinion is there is no such thing.

Great leaders will be great leaders. The #1 Characteristic of a great leader is someone who surrounds himself / herself with great people.

Are you ready to question Levy in his decisionmaking without so much as listening to the press conference. Are you people THAT cynical in upstate New York?

I think JP can be an effective starter with a little more seasoning.  But if we don't significantly upgrade the O-line, it won't be with the Bills.

579871[/snapback]

My thoughts as well. McGahee would be a much greater runner with the right offensive line.

Guest BackInDaDay
Kelly's run and shoot offense took advantage of defenses who had never saw anything like it. No way does this mean it was not organized. :D

579797[/snapback]

Look up coach Mouse Davis if you'ld like an explanation of the 'Run & Shoot'.

The K-Gun run by Kelly was'nt a R&S O. Formations via motion, and pass patterns called from pre-snap reads enabled that O. The R&S places pre-snap read responsibilities on the receivers as well, demanding their reads and the QB's are the same. Kevin Gilbride installed aspects of the R&S into William's O when he came on board.

As far as Williams '46' D goes, while at Tennessee I think he had Blaine Bishop at SS to bring up. In Buffalo, Lawyer Milloy was brought in to fill that role. In Washington, he's got Taylor. Like another poster said - his D begins with the SS (and a DE who can raise hell). His Quality Control days under Jack Pardee took him to DC under Buddy Ryan disciple Jeff Fisher's Titans, to HC and back to DC.

The old Q&C kid has a system for making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

So believe what you want, but this guy fits players into his system. It's a successful D system, and with the HC, GM and owner onboard he's making it work.

Great leaders will be great leaders. The #1 Characteristic of a great leader is someone who surrounds himself / herself with great people.

579877[/snapback]

Let's get back on point. We're talking about the HC here, not the GM. How many games did your GM win you this year?

Why don't you take a vote of Redskins nation and see how many of your fellow fans think Joe Gibbs was immaterial to the team's success at any point in his coaching career. That it was all about player personnel and high character and good coordinators, and the HC just was a delegator and mouthpiece?

Look up coach Mouse Davis if you'ld like an explanation of the 'Run & Shoot'.

The K-Gun run by Kelly was'nt a R&S O.  Formations via motion, and pass patterns called from pre-snap reads enabled that O.  The R&S places pre-snap read responsibilities on the receivers as well, demanding their reads and the QB's are the same.  Kevin Gilbride installed aspects of the R&S into William's O when he came on board.

As far as Williams '46' D goes, while at Tennessee I think he had Blaine Bishop at SS to bring up.  In Buffalo, Lawyer Milloy was brought in to fill that role.  In Washington, he's got Taylor.  Like another poster said - his D begins with the SS (and a DE who can raise hell). His Quality Control days under Jack Pardee took him to DC under Buddy Ryan disciple Jeff Fisher's Titans, to HC and back to DC.

The old Q&C kid has a system for making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! 

So believe what you want, but this guy fits players into his system.  It's a successful D system, and with the HC, GM and owner onboard he's making it work.

579897[/snapback]

And so why can't the same thing happen in Buffalo that is happening in Washington?

Guest BackInDaDay
The top thing I’ve learned is to make sure that I surround myself with quality people, and them being able to handle things that you can’t handle yourself. More specifically, like having a coach be in charge administratively of things that I don’t want to do which would take me away from actually coaching the players.

579848[/snapback]

This goes back to his post-grad days under Pardee who created a Quality and Control position for Williams to do exactly those things. Coordinating football related activities (practice schedules, filmwork, conditioning, skull-sessions, etc.) with non-football related activities (media availability, charitable events, etc.).

Nothing new here from Gregg. Nothing bad, but nothing new.