Sherman goooooood...Jauron baaaaaaad

Webster Guy

The Sherman groundswell happened pretty quick. First SDS solicited some nice posts from Green Bay fans. We find out he's a classy guy who is a good coach and injuries were the main reason he was fired and GB finished in last place.

Then Soprano came out and said Sherman's a done deal. He's got a good offensive mind, liked JP (he was gonna draft him probably), and was loyal to his players and vice versa.

Sherman's stock went from zero to sixty relatively quick. I found myself throwing myself on the Sherman bandwagon as well. Hooray for Sherman!

Jauron seemed like a bland, reserved guy with no personality. His 13-3 record was an anomaly. Yuck - who wants that guy?

Anyway, Sherman became instantly good, Jauron instantly bad (from my perspective anyway). "Sherman's great! Jauron sucks!" Case closed.

"What? we hired Jauron? Oh no...he sucks...Sherman would have been great!

Sherman gooooooodddd....Jauron baaaaaaaad....."

I admit, I fell into this Animal Farm way of thinking. Now I am thinking "what was I thinking?"

Of course there is no black and white here. Jauron has to do a couple of things to succeed: gain and keep the respect of the players, make them believe in the system, and have them buy into the team concept. A tough job for sure for anyone.

Marv has the tougher job. He has to fill some key spots and weed out a few guys.

The job of head coach may be overrated a bit (Barry Switzer?), but the GM's responsibilities will never be overrated. It may be that Marv felt he could work better with Jauron, and there can be no friction between the coach and the GM at this stage of the game.

We are all trying to predict the future. "Sherman gooood... Jauron baaad." Maybe it's not that cut and dried. Maybe Jauron has something to offer. Maybe he can do something with these Bills- the right guy at the right time.

Of course there is no black and white here.  Jauron has to do a couple of things to succeed:  gain and keep the respect of the players, make them believe in the system, and have them buy into the team concept.  A tough job for sure for anyone.

Players buy into the system much easier if the coach is credible. Having a winning background provides instant credibility.

It may be that Marv felt he could work better with Jauron, and there can be no friction between the coach and the GM at this stage of the game.

So he hired a yes-man and his buddy instead of a proven winner.

We are all trying to predict the future.  "Sherman gooood... Jauron baaad." Maybe it's not that cut and dried.  Maybe Jauron has something to offer. Maybe he can do something with these Bills- the right guy at the right time.

579087[/snapback]

Maybe. Maybe not.

The Sherman groundswell happened pretty quick.  First SDS solicited some nice posts from Green Bay fans. We find out he's a classy guy who is a good coach and injuries were the main reason he was fired and GB finished in last place.

Then Soprano came out and said Sherman's a done deal.  He's got a good offensive mind, liked JP (he was gonna draft him probably), and was loyal to his players and vice versa.

Sherman's stock went from zero to sixty relatively quick. I found myself throwing myself on the Sherman bandwagon as well.  Hooray for Sherman!

Jauron seemed like a bland, reserved guy with no personality.  His 13-3 record was an anomaly. Yuck - who wants that guy?

Anyway, Sherman became instantly good, Jauron instantly bad (from my perspective anyway).  "Sherman's great!  Jauron sucks!"  Case closed.

"What? we hired Jauron? Oh no...he sucks...Sherman would have been great!

Sherman gooooooodddd....Jauron baaaaaaaad....."

I admit, I fell into this Animal Farm way of thinking.  Now I am thinking "what was I thinking?"

Of course there is no black and white here.  Jauron has to do a couple of things to succeed:  gain and keep the respect of the players, make them believe in the system, and have them buy into the team concept.  A tough job for sure for anyone.

Marv has the tougher job.  He has to fill some key spots and weed out a few guys.

The job of head coach may be overrated a bit (Barry Switzer?), but the GM's responsibilities will never be overrated.  It may be that Marv felt he could work better with Jauron, and there can be no friction between the coach and the GM at this stage of the game.

We are all trying to predict the future.  "Sherman gooood... Jauron baaad." Maybe it's not that cut and dried.  Maybe Jauron has something to offer. Maybe he can do something with these Bills- the right guy at the right time.

579087[/snapback]

Ugh... what sensible guy would take Jauron over Sherman. Isn't that like passing up Joe Gibbs for Joe Bugel? yuck i feel sick in the mouth. FIRE LEVY, come on Ralph. I am honestly against the Levy hire in such capacity, the amount of time wasted in their search and how much much of a fighting chance that RW and ML gave MM and DJ to assemble a decent crew of assistants. I honestly fear that we are stuck for a couple more years of wearing paper bags over our heads, until we have the LA Bills become a reality. :rolleyes: :'(

I would have preferred Sherman, and stated that a lot. But it is important to have someone who will work will with Marv, and there are a lot of cases of HCs wanting to do GM duties not working so well.

But the big news guys is this: instead of MM and his Shelton passes at 1st and goal and mishandling Adams and Moulds and JP and Willis, we have a new and better coach, with some proven success. And with TD gone, we have a better chance at drafting well, and having a better time signing free agents.

So I bought in to the Sherman better than Jauron stuff too, and I think that might have been right, all things equal, but let's not forget the great news here. We have a coach who will be much better than MM, who just weeks ago was supposed to stick around and ruin another year for us. If we can build a quality staff with good coordinators I look forward to 2006. Also Jauron should be better than Haslett who was another possibility for a step forward, so we got our middle option of three possible improvements on MM

Now I have to go read up a little on Jauron because I had the Sherman blinders on, and don't know enough about him...

Go Bills.

Players buy into the system much easier if the coach is credible.  Having a winning background provides instant credibility....

...So he hired a yes-man and his buddy instead of a proven winner.

579091[/snapback]

Well, if you are saying Jauron isn't credible, then maybe he's INcredible! :rolleyes:

He's been a head coach. He will know what he wants to do from the get-go. I agree with your comment, but I suspect that the defense will know that this guy knows his sh-- from Day One and on Day Two he will be credible. Does the new Jets coach have credibility as a HEAD coach? I don't know.

You say Jauron is a "yes-man"? I don't think that's a fair assessment. You don't get to be where he is without standing up for yourself and what you believe in. Just my opinion.