Intresting tidbit from Prisco re MM

jahnyc

In his Notebook, Pete Prisco indicates that MM had problems with his defensive staff and they second guessed him with the players. Sorry cannot link, but see cbssportsline.com.

If true, I think MM's departure is a very good thing for team. MM had problems with his defensive staff, problems with veterans, problems with his own offensive coordinator, family issues, etc. A clean start was necessary because there is no way that MM could have been successful under these circumstances. It sounds like he had lost his team and his staff.

I am pleased that the Bills are looking primarily at coaches with experience as head coaches. We need some maturity and experience with our next head coach.

This more than likely came from Mularkey's agent. I heard his agent on the radio the morning after he resigned. He kept complaining that Mularkey was forced to keep the old D coaching staff, but he was opposed to this and that Mularkey and Grey often disagreed on D strategy.

In his Notebook, Pete Prisco indicates that MM had problems with his defensive staff and they second guessed him with the players.  Sorry cannot link, but see cbssportsline.com.

If true, I think MM's departure is a very good thing for team.  MM had problems with his defensive staff, problems with veterans, problems with his own offensive coordinator, family issues, etc.  A clean start was necessary because there is no way that MM could have been successful under these circumstances.  It sounds like he had lost his team and his staff.

I am pleased that the Bills are looking primarily at coaches with experience as head coaches.  We need some maturity and experience with our next head coach.

576237[/snapback]

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9175894/2

Prisco's notebook

Mularkey walked away from the Bills job last week when he decided it was a no-win situation. Part of the problem was that the Bills don't have anybody at the top making football decisions who has done it during the cap era. It's believed former Bills coach Marv Levy will make those decisions now that he's in charge. He'll have input from general manager Tom Modrak,  but Modrak lives in Florida, so he's not in the building every day. It's not a good situation, which is why Mularkey walked away and others who looked at the job passed. By the way, word is Mularkey had problems with some members of his defensive staff. They bad-mouthed him behind his back to the players, which led to friction. That's why he fired them before he walked away. Mularkey inherited some of them, which is always a problem. Mularkey will get back in as an assistant and then he'll get another head-coaching chance. Miami could be the chance to start that process rolling.

Something else I found interesting in that column....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the New Orleans Saints play in the AFC South? Isn't that the same division with the Carolina Panthers and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers? Then isn't it kind of funny that the Saints got strong recommendations to hire Sean Payton from Panthers coach John Fox and Bucs coach Jon Gruden? Something to think about, isn't it?

Who knows for sure as the media tends to be a lot more about attracting eyeballs so their corporation makes big bucks than they are about accuracy.

Of course, the two things are not mutually excusive but what used to be a public service that happened to be a business is now a business that just happens to also be a public service.

In the days were station get their realtively small but profitable set of listeners from stoking controversy like WGR or columnists try to get noticed so they can cash in accuracy in reporting sometimes suffers.

Ironically for me if this does prove to be true that MM had trouble with the defensive staff it would be consistent with a theory of mine that part of the Bills bad play this year was that a D which returned 10 of 11 starters and should not have missed Phat Pat as much as the D seemed to actually may have lost a little of its edge if they viewed TD and by extension MM giving up on winning this year in exchange for giving JP a valuable year of training by losing a few tough games.

I hope that Marv and RWS are not already in a caustic different page about this stuff.

Almost all of the defense staff was let go and Gray let word out that he was out as DC (until he realized he could pad his resume with an interview for HC position) so it makes sense that there was a conflict between Mularchy and Gray; the Bills were trying to create conditions such that Mularchy would stay but could revamp defense.

Personally the coaching problems appeared to be at top - DL coach, LB coach, DB coach were fine but Gray had planned poorly so they cut some good coaches which might have wanted to be retained by new HC but left in coaches like conditioning coach who was Mularchy's cronie.

Another interesting part of the story is the MM fired the defensive staff before walking away. I wonder if some of the assistant coaches would have otherwise stayed, assuming that the next HC and defensive coordinator were interested in retaining them. Unfortunate that MM had the opportunity to fire them and not the next HC.