(OT) Anyone get a dental crown?

Fezmid

I had one. Didn't hurt at all, and only felt *slightly* uncomfortable for a few hours. It's no big deal.

41468[/snapback]

Ditto....I did hate it when they shaved the enamel off my tooth. Didn't hurt at all, just felt terrible. The crown felt like it didn't fit for about 24 hours. Then it was fine after it settled in.

PTR

Ditto....I did hate it when they shaved the enamel off my tooth.  Didn't hurt at all, just felt terrible.  The crown felt like it didn't fit for about 24 hours.  Then it was fine after it settled in.

PTR

76588[/snapback]

The temporary crown definately feels like it's set a bit too low; I looked in the mirror while closing my teeth and there's a small gap between the crowned tooth and the one above it. I'm hoping that this gets fixed with the permenant one... Or maybe it'll feel better in 24 hours like yours *crosses fingers*

CW

I have three crowns, a double and two singles. The test they did was to make sure the nerve in the tooth was till alive. If it were dead, you would inevitably develop an abcess at the bottom of the root, if you did not already have one. The root canal drills out the dead root and replaces it with an inert material. That prevents any future abcess from forming. It's better to have a live tooth (nerve) because a dead tooth (after root canal) tends to become brittle and breaks more easily. The dentist grinds down enough of the old tooth so that the crown can cover it completely. I presume the "buildup" process is to make it a little higher so there is a little more for the crown to hold on to.

Two of my crowns are fine now. The third is loose, so I'm guessing I'll have to go back and have it glued back on. I had a temporary on it for about three years and had no problem. Makes me wonder why a permanent crown is better.