Jerry Gray to UCLA

djh

Token Interview.... <_< 

J/K

574094[/snapback]

D.C........here's the article.............

More on the Coaching Changes

Karl Dorrell By Tracy Pierson

Date: Jan 19, 2006

There is more information that has surfaced about the potential changes to the UCLA football staff, including one current coach potentially leaving for a better opportunity, a former UCLA star possibly returning, and more about the defensive coordinator position...

Much of what we've heard jibes with some of today's reports, such as the one in the Daily News. But we also have some information that differs from the Daily News, and additional information.

As we reported yesterday, a current UCLA coach is being considered for a better coaching opportunity. Yesterday, this coach was out of town interviewing for an NFL coaching position. We've heard the chances of this coach leaving the UCLA staff are relatively good.

In regard to the defensive coordinator position, as we alluded to yesterday, Jerry Gray, former Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator, is interested in the job, but we've heard he was balking at the salary.

Unlike what the DN wrote, we've heard that former New York Giant DC Johnnie Lynn is not being considered.

We have also heard the name Ted Cottrell mentioned. Cottrell is the former Minnesota Vikings Defensive Coordinator who was recently let go when new Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress was hired.

As we confirmed yesterday, Ken Norton, the former UCLA linebacker and current USC linebacker coach, is a candidate for a linebacker coaching position. Former Defensive Coordinator Larry Kerr was also the linebackers coach, so the linebacker coaching position opened up when Karl Dorrell fired Kerr.

We've heard actually that UCLA has offered Norton the job. But we've also heard that an NFL team is interested in Norton.

There are still a number of staff positions that could change besides DC and the linebacker coaching position. First, if the one coach does leave, his position would have to be filled. And as we reported, there is also a very good possibility that other coaches could either be let go or moved to other responsibilities. We've learned, in fact, that an out-of-state candidate was in Westwood yesterday interviewing for a coaching position that is currently filled.

Per Bruin board

574086[/snapback]

What the pay issue here is likely that if Gray goes to another NFL team, the agreement is that the Bills woul only owe him an amount that a new contract is less than the one he is currently working under with the Bills (for example if he had gotten the Texan HC job it would have paid more than the Bills DC contract and we would owe him nothing.

However, if he leaves the NFL, the Bills would owe him the full contract he signed with us (I am pretty sure we extended and upped his deal earlier this year before the bottom fell out on D production).

The Bruins recognizing that Gray would take down a bunch o cash that the Bills owe him may well have wanted him to take a compensatory cut forBruin duty. As Wade did, I could see him taking his check and going to little league football games if the Bills let him go.

What the pay issue here is likely that if Gray goes to another NFL team, the agreement is that the Bills woul only owe him an amount that a new contract is less than the one he is currently working under with the Bills (for example if he had gotten the Texan HC job it would have paid more than the Bills DC contract and we would owe him nothing.

However, if he leaves the NFL, the Bills would owe him the full contract he signed with us (I am pretty sure we extended and upped his deal earlier this year before the bottom fell out on D production).

The Bruins recognizing that Gray would take down a bunch o cash that the Bills owe him may well have wanted him to take a compensatory cut forBruin duty.  As Wade did, I could see him taking his check and going to little league football games if the Bills let him go.

574208[/snapback]

Don't be so sure on the Bills paying his salary regardless of where he goes next year....stay tuned on this one.

The Bruins recognizing that Gray would take down a bunch o cash that the Bills owe him may well have wanted him to take a compensatory cut forBruin duty.  As Wade did, I could see him taking his check and going to little league football games if the Bills let him go.

574208[/snapback]

That only happens if the Bills "fire" Gray, which apparently has not yet happened. I think wiley ole Ralph is aware of this and is holding Gray's contract until Gray quits, thus giving up his salary -- just like Mularkey did last week. If Gray refuses to quit, then he is an over-paid assitant DC. But I don't think Ralph is ready to pay him to work somewhere else.