Huh?

I guess he wants to start! Anybody know anything about this guy?

I just have not followed the Bears....

Bears | Haynes wants to move on

Tue, 17 Jan 2006 06:40:10 -0800

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears DL Michael Haynes made it clear he desires to be released or traded after this season. ''Definitely,'' Haynes said. ''It's pretty clear it's time for me to move on.'' Halfway through his six-year contract that had a base value of $9.2 million, the Bears can wipe him off the books with a $2.6 million hit to their salary cap. Because his base salary for next season is $610,000 and climbs to $1.08 million in 2008, it's unlikely a team would trade for him without a new contract. ''I've made it clear and obvious to everybody I want to be a starter,'' Haynes said. ''I'm not in the NFL to collect a paycheck. If I'm in the league, I'm going to make it being a starter. I'm not a special-teams guy. I refuse to be labeled as such. I will do special teams. If I start for two years and I can't get it done, then I get into a reserve role. That's fine. I will happily accept that."

Haynes said. ''I'm not in the NFL to collect a paycheck. If I'm in the league, I'm going to make it being a starter. I'm not a special-teams guy. I refuse to be labeled as such. I will do special teams. If I start for two years and I can't get it done, then I get into a reserve role. That's fine. I will happily accept that."

570781[/snapback]

Coming from a guy who has 5 tackles (1 solo) and 2 passes defensed in 3 career starts, that's an amusing statement.

He's the guy many of us whined about the year we traded that #1 pick to the Patriots for Drew. Recall that the Pats ended up swapping that #14 pick with the Bears, who ultimately took him. To date, it looks like we're better off having used the later pick that we got from Atlanta to draft Willis, as Haynes really hasn't done much yet in the pros. But he was a very good college pass rusher, that's for sure.

Considering Marv's Chicago connection -- and his knowledge that Haynes hasn't lived up to first round draft potential -- I would find it unlikely that he'd be interested in him. Then again, maybe Marv feels that the kid has never had much of an opportunity in Chicago and likes that he has a chip on his shoulder...