There's only one positive aspect of Haslett.

Grant

Other than the fact that Haslett once played linebacker in Buffalo, there's no reason to bring Haslett here. None whatsoever.

Here are the most common reasons given I've read for why Haslett would be a good choice:

"He was a great linebacker"

"He wants to coach in Buffalo"

"He knows Marv"

None of those say anything about his competency as a head coach. You know why? He's done nothing to prove he would be an upgrade over Mularkey. Because when you think about Haslett without the bias of his Buffalo origins, you realize what a terrible coach he's been.

He's only made the playoffs once in six years, and that was his first year. And the Saints have had talent - Deuce McAllister and Joe Horn are among the best in the league at their respective positions. And five years - four if you excuse this year - of non-playoff football is still unacceptable anywhere in the NFL.

When looking at Haslett purely as a coach, you can only make positives by giving him excuses. "He did the best he could with that untalented roster." A coaches job is to make his players good, not the other way around. "Everyone knows he plays for the cheapest owner in the NFL." Yeah, and Ralph is such a big spender.

This is going to be our 4th head coach in 6 years. That's ridiculous. This time, let's pick one we won't have to bend over backwards to justify. Bring in someone who's a proven winner and give them some control.

Allow me to summarize the current debate over Haslett:

The argument in support of Haslett:

1. The owner, the GM's, and maybe Ditka deserve at least as much of the blame for the Saints' recent mediocrity.

2. They've been playing in the toughest divisions of the NFC this century - the old NFC West and the new NFC South.

3. Katrina made 2005 a futile effort for anyone.

4. He DID win the division and get the Saints to the 2nd round of the playoffs in his rookie year (the 2nd round of the playoffs is like the Super Bowl for that franchise).

5. Other than Mike Sherman, he is the most attractive of all the realistically available head coaching candidates with previous NFL HC experience.

6. He really wants to coach for Buffalo, which will resonate well with the fans (this never hurts; look at what it did to TD, GW, and MM).

7. He'll come cheaper than most other experienced head coaches, so maybe Marv can convince Ralph to use all this saved HC money on the OC and DC.

8. Supposedly has a good relationship with Wilson and Levy, which could only help in trying to develop team chemistry and cohesiveness within the organization.

9. Lots of head coaches have done better the second time around in new situations, most notably Bill Belichick leaving Cleveland for NE.

10. Supposedly a players' type of coach.

11. Also has pro experience as a DC.

The argument against Haslett:

1. Five straight years of missing the playoffs after a great rookie coaching season (7-9, 9-7, 8-8, 8-8, 3-13).

2. He called out some steroid users in the early 80's, including Kent Hull.

3. His team played undisciplined the past few years, ranking poorly in penalties and turnovers.

Feel free to add to this debate. Personally, I am undecided over this one. I don't follow the Saints at all, so I know very little about Haslett beyond what I read here. His rookie year was impressive, his final year was understandable, and he otherwise would be a great match for the Bills...but I can't get over the 4 straight years of about .500 ball.

Edit: For some reason, the quote tags don't seem to be working. So I've put your text in bold for now.

1. The owner, the GM's, and maybe Ditka deserve at least as much of the blame for the Saints' recent mediocrity.

Maybe initially but after 6* years, that excuse falls flat.

2. They've been playing in the toughest divisions of the NFC this century - the old NFC West and the new NFC South.

You shouldn't have to wait for other teams to back down in order to be good. You should just be good. 5* years of non-playoffs is unacceptable regardless of division.

3. Katrina made 2005 a futile effort for anyone.

I'll give Haslett a pass for this season. This is the only excuse I'll allow. Thus, the asteriks.

4. He DID win the division and get the Saints to the 2nd round of the playoffs in his rookie year (the 2nd round of the playoffs is like the Super Bowl for that franchise).

If we're blaming Ditka, the owner and the GM for the failures, shouldn't they get credift for this? Especially since, as a rookie head coach, Haslett had little to do with the assembly of that team.

5. Other than Mike Sherman, he is the most attractive of all the realistically available head coaching candidates with previous NFL HC experience.

No he isn't.

6. He really wants to coach for Buffalo, which will resonate well with the fans (this never hurts; look at what it did to TD, GW, and MM).

I really want to coach for Buffalo, too. So does Marv Levy and Alex Van Pelt. This should not be a factor.

7. He'll come cheaper than most other experienced head coaches, so maybe Marv can convince Ralph to use all this saved HC money on the OC and DC.

Great, another bargain bin head coach. This has worked out well for us. I know there's a lesson to be learned from the Mularkey disaster, I just know it! But what could it be?

8. Supposedly has a good relationship with Wilson and Levy, which could only help in trying to develop team chemistry and cohesiveness within the organization.

This might be a positive. It would be nice to have a coach who could have some breathing room and some actual power. I can't think of a coach who's ever been successful without having some degree of power over personnel.

9. Lots of head coaches have done better the second time around in new situations, most notably Bill Belichick leaving Cleveland for NE.

Lots have failed, too.

10. Supposedly a players' type of coach

So was Mularkey.

11. Also has pro experience as a DC.

So did Williams.

564660[/snapback]

Pretty sure he was coach of the year once, too