2006 Heisman

smokinandjokin

I suppose we'll have to wait to see who declares for the NFL and who stays, but who do we have as favorites for the 2006 Heisman?

I assume Brady Quinn is coming back, so you would have to put him at the top of the list. He plays in an offense where he will have the opportunity to put the ball in the air and rack up some numbers, he will play 3/4 of his games on national TV, and he has the vast media coverage that ND generates.

Chris Leak will be back, correct? His second year in Urban's offense should help.

Adrian Peterson, if he stays healthy, will make some noise. And who knows what Mike Hart at Michigan can do when healthy. Ted Ginn at OSU has the hype and the media coverage necessary to win the trophy, but he has to show up every game, especially with no more Santonio.

LenDale White would have been the boss at USC had he stayed, and he would've had a shot at the trophy, but he's coming out. Same thing for Maurice Drew at UCLA. (Of course, everyone would have been playing second fiddle to Vince Young if he chose to stay in.) Dwayne Jarrett, WR for USC, will be back as a junior, but it depends if one of their young QB's can get him the ball.

Who else is on the radar for Heisman '06???

Chris Leak will be back, correct?  His second year in Urban's offense should help.

562133[/snapback]

As a Florida fan I would say cross Leak off your list. He just doesn't fit the offense. I really liked his chances when he was a sophmore to excel in his senior year, but not really anymore.

As a Florida fan I would say cross Leak off your list.  He just doesn't fit the offense.  I really liked his chances when he was a sophmore to excel in his senior year, but not really anymore.

562246[/snapback]

Yeah, I did hear that...I heard Meyer even tweaked the offense halfway through the season because Leak was not enough of a runner to excel the way Alex Smith did. I heard they signed a prep star who everyone wanted- some lefty who can really sling it and is a good runner. Maybe Meyer will add a more "traditional" offense for Leak's last year, and then get back to his quintuplet option when the young buck is in there.

1. Brady Quinn - With Vince gone, its his trophy to lose IMO. Weis's offense allows him to put up monster numbers. We are getting our best WR back (Rhema McKnight) from injury and hopefully he will more than fill the shoes of Stovall. Losing Fasano was big though, he was Quinn's safety valve on many occasions.

2. Adrian Peterson - He is still a stud and probably the best back in the nation if he can stay healthy. If OU can settle the offense and keep building on last year, then he could be hard to beat.

3. Troy Smith - If he can string together an entire season like the last two games of 05 and OSU is in NATL champ contention, then he is definitely in the mix.

Wildcard - Ted Ginn. If he and Troy can develop some chemistry and he steps up and fills the void left by Holmes, then who knows? He sure as hell will have plenty of media coverage behind him.

1. Brady Quinn - With Vince gone, its his trophy to lose IMO. Weis's offense allows him to put up monster numbers. We are getting our best WR back (Rhema McKnight) from injury and hopefully he will more than fill the shoes of Stovall. Losing Fasano was big though, he was Quinn's safety valve on many occasions.

562304[/snapback]

Samardjza back, or no???

Samardjza back, or no???

562393[/snapback]

Absolutely coming back, as far as I've heard. He is also probably our best pitcher for the baseball team so he has no reason to jump school now before baseball season. After next year he will get drafted into both leagues and can probably have his pick.

I'm pissed about Fasano though. With Rhema coming back with an injury redshirt, our passing game could have been even deadlier. As impressive as Mo Stov was, and he REALLY stepped his sh-- up, McKnight is 10x the natural WR he is. I can't wait to see what he can do once he is unleashed in Weis's spread offense.

2. Adrian Peterson - He is still a stud and probably the best back in the nation if he can stay healthy. If OU can settle the offense and keep building on last year, then he could be hard to beat.

3. Troy Smith - If he can string together an entire season like the last two games of 05 and OSU is in NATL champ contention, then he is definitely in the mix.

Wildcard - Ted Ginn. If he and Troy can develop some chemistry and he steps up and fills the void left by Holmes, then who knows? He sure as hell will have plenty of media coverage behind him.

562304[/snapback]

I agree with everyone you mentioned, but I'd have to also add South Carolina's Sidney Rice. Although he may be in for a long season if the new QB struggles.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the order like this right now:

1. Brady Quinn-QB Notre Dame

2. Chris Leak-QB Florida

3. Kenny Irons-RB Auburn

4. Adrian Peterson-RB Oklahoma

5. Ted Ginn Jr.-WR Ohio State

6. Dwayne Jarrett-WR USC

7. Troy Smith-QB Ohio State

Other mentionables Puzlansky-LB Penn State, Ben Olsen-TE Miami, Jamarcus Russell-QB LSU (Granted he can win the starting job over the guy who started the bowl game), and definitely watch out for Marshawn Lynch-RB Cal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.