Felser's column made me chuckle

JoeF

From Larry Felser's column today--2 consecutive paragraphs...

There isn't going to be any instant fix, an impossibility considering the nature of the Bills' quandary. Levy is a patient man, an unpopular trait in these times when fans and a segment of the media are in favor of unlocking the gun case, loading the semiautomatics and spraying bullets in all directions.

Levy has never been an advocate of the broom that sweeps clean, but rather examining whether there is anything worth salvaging among the dust balls. The first probing by Levy will be with Mike Mularkey, the incumbent coach to whom Wilson granted a reprieve, presumably because he's still under contract for three more years. It was not a popular move, including in this corner.

Larry leading the semi-automatic SWAT team....

There isn't going to be any instant fix, an impossibility considering the nature of the Bills' quandary. Levy is a patient man, an unpopular trait in these times when fans and a segment of the media are in favor of unlocking the gun case, loading the semiautomatics and spraying bullets in all directions.

True. It's not like we didn't give TD 5 years. :unsure:

True.  It's not like we didn't give TD 5 years.  :unsure:

558899[/snapback]

Actually, we didn't really give him five years- the first year or two was cleaning out the cap- infortunately, he made the mistake of going with a stopgap QB, instead of being bad, and getting to draft high.

Levy has never been an advocate of the broom that sweeps clean, but rather examining whether there is anything worth salvaging among the dust balls. The first probing by Levy will be with Mike Mularkey, the incumbent coach to whom Wilson granted a reprieve, presumably because he's still under contract for three more years. It was not a popular move, including in this corner.

Larry leading the semi-automatic SWAT team....

558897[/snapback]

Everytime Michael Irvin speaks I feel like unlocking the semi-automatic and, more, using it.

Actually, we didn't really give him five years- the first year or two was cleaning out the cap- infortunately, he made the mistake of going with a stopgap QB, instead of being bad, and getting to draft high.

The cap mess was mostly cleaned-up after the 2001 season. He was able to add Bledsoe in 2002. So at least we gave TD 3+ years.

The cap mess was mostly cleaned-up after the 2001 season.  He was able to add Bledsoe in 2002.  So at least we gave TD 3+ years.

558902[/snapback]

Its all a matter of semantics- he was here 5 years, and I understand why we let him go.I don't think letting him go mad us better. I do prefer Levy to him though

Its all a matter of semantics- he was here 5 years, and I understand why we let him go.I don't think letting him go mad us better. I do prefer Levy to him though

I don't know if letting TD go made us better: time will tell. But I can't see us being that much worse. It's just, how long do you give a guy? IIRC, when he arrived he said that he had a 5 year (may have been shorter, but it certainly couldn't have been longer) plan, and after 5 years the Bills are WORSE than when he took over. It was time to move on. And with any new GM, there are holes you can poke in him ("why was he fired," "look at x year's draft," etc.). So I'll just wait and see the results, or lack thereof.

I don't know if letting TD go made us better: time will tell.  But I can't see us being that much worse.  It's just, how long do you give a guy?  IIRC, when he arrived he said that he had a 5 year (may have been shorter, but it certainly couldn't have been longer) plan, and after 5 years the Bills are WORSE than when he took over.  It was time to move on.  And with any new GM, there are holes you can poke in him ("why was he fired," "look at x year's draft," etc.).  So I'll just wait and see the results, or lack thereof.

558922[/snapback]

To me, its not time, but gut feeling- Donahoe was going by the philosophy of taking the best guy available then adjusting the roster. We had the OL that Jacksonville drafted targeted- when they took him, we didnt reach for an OL, and took our top rated guy in Parrish.

Once things worked out, and Donahoe got the line taken care of (which was just a matter of time), I think we'd have been good. It was just a etter of when the players we need become available to us without overreaching for them- Donahoe was a long term guy, not a "we have to have this now" type of guy.

But, its all good- the decision wasn't right or rong- its just what it is. We'll be fine with Levy as GM.

Once things worked out, and Donahoe got the line taken care of (which was just a matter of time), I think we'd have been good. It was just a etter of when the players we need become available to us without overreaching for them- Donahoe was a long term guy, not a "we have to have this now" type of guy.

558930[/snapback]

The line was one of our biggest problems when Donahoe took over. It's one of our biggest problems now. When was he going to take care of it?!

The line was one of our biggest problems when Donahoe took over. It's one of our biggest problems now. When was he going to take care of it?!

558969[/snapback]

We have a winner! The post that made the most sense award goes to ...drum roll AMAZING GRANT!