Per Chris Mortenson.....

And Leinart didn't?  :D

558728[/snapback]

?

My post had nothing to do with Leinart. But, yeah, any star Qb for a great college team has a great supporting cast so you can't just look at their numbers and imagine that they'd do that at the pro level. So you have to look at how they actually play the game and imagine how they would do without a team of superstarts (at their level) around them.

The difference between a college bowl game (and season) is light years away from making it in the NFL.  The draft is littered with corpses of NCAA first team All-Stars.

558658[/snapback]

Agreed. But from watching VY for the last 3 years or so, I'm confident that he handles pressure extremely well and has poise. That may be the most important thing you look for in a QB.

We'll see if he has everything else it takes to make it in the NFL.

The ability to be your best in the pressure situations might be the most important thing to look for in any QB.  VY has that going for him, at least.

558654[/snapback]

I agree with that. The game slows down for him and not just because he's faster than everyone else. It's been a long time since I watched a college football quarterback and thought "he can bring his team back from any deficit." Joe Montana made you think that. Doug Flutie made you think that. I think Jim McMahon had it at BYU. There are probably a few others I'm forgetting, but not many. Vince Young is such a player. I don't think Michael Vick was.

Yes, Terrance did win the games for Buffalo in Cinci, but how says they would have lost to the Jets, if not. Bitchin bout that is has no point guys, yes if scott norwoods kick was 2 feet to the left the buffalo bills would have won superbowl 25.

Young would be a better pick than Leinart imo, he's very very calm while playing and can still make running plays that turn into Touchdowns. Leinart will be a fish out of water if he goes to the Saints. He will see alot of sacks, much like David Carr did, and ML seems to have an attitude problem when lossing. I think Jets would be interested in any of the top pick qb's and/or rb's as well.

Either way Buffalo is looking at a good chance they will draft a very good defensive lineman, or OL guy. Buffalo does not need another Wide Reciever drafted like they have been doing. I just really see Young going to Tennessee, due to him being a running QB much like McNair was in his prime, but if buffalo can draft down the only reason I would is for the purpose of getting Vince Young.

Lendall White I think would be a great pick for the Jets, as he looks to be one of the greats.

:D

This is so true i think VY is a good college player and maybe an average pro a la Vick. He'll be exciting but the kid can't throw accurate passes on a consistent basis.

558652[/snapback]

Yeah, he's so innacurate and inconsistent that he was third in the country in passing efficiency (QB rating) and completed 65% of his passes.

I don't get these comparisons with Vick (who BTW I think is way above average as a pro in terms of his overall impact on his team's ability to win - though he's being mismanaged right now).

Vick has a stronger arm, is much smaller, is quicker, etc. - he plays a different game. Young has much greater accuracy than Vick, he's got the ability to glide around and keep seeing what's going on around him and downfield, he's ridiculous under pressure and in big games. I can't really think of a QB he reminds me of. Just the way he moves alone - that rangy shiftiness that is deceptively fast - is unlike any QB I've seen.

None of this means he'll definitely be a good pro, but I think many of you are way underestimating his chances.

I hope so. OT Ferguson and DE Williams are my dream longshot hopes. Otherwise, accept an offer to trade down.

558663[/snapback]

I add Hawk to that list, but I don't think there is any chance any of them slip.

The Jets are the wild card, but even if all three are still on the board after the Jets pick, I think it's a lock that Mario goes to GB, SF takes Ferguson, and Oak takes Hawk.

Of course depending on who the Jets do take, this could leave Kiwi and Ngata on the board, and both will be good players.