I COULD believe in Levy as GM

It seems to me from reading the posts that fans are justifying Marv's hiring to themselves by redefining the role of the GM so that Marv can succeed - saying it's simply an executive position providing direction and oversight. I don't believe it - it seems to me that great GMs can really turn teams around.

Personally, I would be very excited if we quietly brought in Marv's (and Modrak's)future replacement now. I would love to read about somebody in their 30s or 40s being hired away from one of the successful franchises to fulfill the role as Marv's right hand man for the next few years. Frankly, I think it's a terrible waste if Marv / Ralph miss the opportunity.

I have no doubt that Marv has a tremendous amount of football knowledge and management/coaching skills that need to be kept in the organization when he's gone.

It seems to me from reading the posts that fans are justifying Marv's hiring to themselves by redefining the role of the GM so that Marv can succeed - saying it's simply an executive position providing direction and oversight.  I don't believe it - it seems to me that great GMs can really turn teams around.

Personally, I would be very excited if we quietly brought in Marv's (and Modrak's)future replacement now.  I would love to read about somebody in their 30s or 40s being hired away from one of the successful franchises to fulfill the role as Marv's right hand man for the next few years.  Frankly, I think it's a terrible waste if Marv / Ralph miss the opportunity. 

I have no doubt that Marv has a tremendous amount of football knowledge and management/coaching skills that need to be kept in the organization when he's gone.

556796[/snapback]

I think you are right on the money here. Hate to say it, but we have a an 80 yr old GM, and an 87 yr old President/Owner, and sometime nature just takes its rightful course. . Now, every sucessful operation has a succession plan in place, especially when the two leaders are are both octogeniarians. We know from public comments that Modrak really relishes being a scout more than an administrative type guy, so that leaves the cupboard pretty bare.

But who that guy would be is beyond me.

That makes sense, and both RW and ML would be short-sighted if they don't factor a plan of succession into the equation. The most crucial task at hand, however, is not planning for the future -- it's planning for 2006.

This guy might be Marc Ross. He is already in the Bills organisation as the National College Scout. He used to work for the Eagles and was hired by the Bills like a year ago, under Tom Modrak recommandation.

He is well regarded around the NFL as a potential future GM...

So he might the guy!

Yes Yes Yes and Yes again, as much as I am looking forward to this breath of fresh air in Buffalo either of these two men running the ship could, as Plenz.. puts it, have "nature take its rightful course", the Bills not only need depth on the field they will need depth in the front office. I am also hopeful that Marv will help Ralph negotiate, and bring in a minority partner/s who will take over ownership of the franchise after Ralph has gone to that great hall of fame in the sky.