DC-Bobby April?

bobby April has done a remarkable job with special teams, and has been a defensive line and defensive secondary coach. The guy has a good track record, the respect of the team and organization, and knows what the heck he is doing out there. Didn't Marv have an entree as a special teams coach?

Yes Marv was a special teams coach....

I was going to originally say no right away but didn't know April had line and secondary experience.....that being noted......still no, just not with as much malice.....

you never know though....

I'd be afraid to mess around with the one aspect of the Bills game that worked this year.

554974[/snapback]

That is the major downside I see too. On the balance it seems we go with retread and unsuccessful co-ordinators, with failed head coaches, or with April. This is not a situation a stellar candidate would want. Two star players at odds with the head coach, a head coach on probation with the GM (who has a proclivity to fire co-ordinators rather than head coaches) and a team that doesn't appear to an unbiased outsider to have playoff caliber talent and a very unappealing quarterback situation. April is a winner, believes in the team, has the team believing in him and has earned a chance.

That is the major downside I see too. On the balance it seems we go with retread and unsuccessful co-ordinators, with failed head coaches, or with April.  This is not a situation a stellar candidate would want.  Two star players at odds with the head coach, a head coach on probation with the GM (who has a proclivity to fire co-ordinators rather than head coaches) and a team that doesn't appear to an unbiased outsider to have playoff caliber talent and a very unappealing quarterback situation.  April is a winner, believes in the team, has the team believing in him and has earned a chance.

555021[/snapback]

I'd be interested to see who might be floating around out there that might be matched to the talent we have, and be looking for a shot. I'm probably wrong, but I'm thinking certain coordinators excel with particular styles, and are average in the others, and come on like gangbusters when the personnel match the style. Example, is Clements a better man to man defender? Or is he better in some weird cover two playing 10 yards off a receiver? With what's on board now, and possible off season pickups, would the Bills be better off going to a 4-3?

Mechanics can work on any car, but someone who has worked on Chevies for 20 years will do a better job on another Chevy, than starting new on a Ford.

I'd be interested to see who might be floating around out there that might be matched to the talent we have, and be looking for a shot. I'm probably wrong, but I'm thinking certain coordinators excel with particular styles, and are average in the others, and come on like gangbusters when the personnel match the style. Example, is Clements a better man to man defender? Or is he better in some weird cover two playing 10 yards off a receiver? With what's on board now, and possible off season pickups, would the Bills be better off going to a 4-3?

Mechanics can work on any car, but someone who has worked on Chevies for 20 years will do a better job on another Chevy, than starting new on a Ford.

555053[/snapback]

Good point. Remember though that April has had more than a little success working in this garage on some of the better defensive cars we have playing (McGee for instance.).

Good point.  Remember though that April has had more than a little success working in this garage on some of the better defensive cars we have playing (McGee for instance.).

555072[/snapback]

True, but I'm not adverse to a "no name", as a coordinator - providing he meets the requirements of understanding not just the game, but the tools at hand. As has been beat to death, don't force the players you have to play away from the strengths that got them there.

This could sound dumb, but I don't see much difference between gameplanning a football game and coaching players vs. designing a military operation and training soldiers. One is usually more successful in designing an operation maximizing the talents and tools of their own forces while exploiting the weaknesses of the opponent. Intelligence (scouting and film) when properly analyzed give you those weaknesses and allow one to "deploy" forces against a particular threat. And you use the forces you have best suited to that part of the mission, taking advantage of their best capabilities. And, the "unexpected" (not "tricky") can go a long way to accomplishing a goal.

Of course it helps to have the second marines, or the 82nd airborne - but "average" units, properly utilized have won many a battle (NE Patriots?). Improperly utilized units (Custer and the 7th Cav?) have looked a lot more like the Bills.

True, but I'm not adverse to a "no name", as a coordinator - providing he meets the requirements of understanding not just the game, but the tools at hand. As has been beat to death, don't force the players you have to play away from the strengths that got them there.

This could sound dumb, but I don't see much difference between gameplanning a football game and coaching players vs. designing a military operation and training soldiers. One is usually more successful in designing an operation maximizing the talents and tools of their own forces while exploiting the weaknesses of the opponent. Intelligence (scouting and film) when properly analyzed give you those weaknesses and allow one to "deploy" forces against a particular threat. And you use the forces you have best suited to that part of the mission, taking advantage of their best capabilities. And, the "unexpected" (not "tricky") can go a long way to accomplishing a goal.

Of course it helps to have the second marines, or the 82nd airborne - but "average" units, properly utilized have won many a battle (NE Patriots?). Improperly utilized units (Custer and the 7th Cav?) have looked a lot more like the Bills.

555102[/snapback]

Definitely Custer and the Seventh Cav. this year. :doh::(:D

Well...I suspect Bobby is a hot commodity.  If we don't do it, don't be surprised if he ends up as a DC somewhere else within a year or two.

555105[/snapback]

He has been in the NFL for 15 years and has always been a ST coach. What makes you think that a NFL team is going to promote him to DC?

Definitely Custer and the Seventh Cav. this year.  :doh:  :(  :D

555110[/snapback]

I've thought that more than a few times. Seeing MM and JG going "where the fu** did all these Indians come from?" on the sidelines reminded me of Custer and Reno.