DCgirl

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasn't he only been in Cleveland 1 year ?  :lol:

545775[/snapback]

Yes, Butch Davis was responsible for the picks after Policy/Clark.

Too bad we are keeping TD - I think Savage is regarded as one of the up and coming talent evaluators and should have no problem finding another GM position.

Hasn't he only been in Cleveland 1 year ?  :lol:

545775[/snapback]

Uh huh.

From what I've heard about this, it appears he has a problem w/ Lerner or vice versa. His relationship w/ Crennel is very good, so this makes no sense.

Savage is an excellent evaluator of talent, so if the Browns are stupid enough to fire him, I sure hope the Bills make him some kind of offer to come here!

What's Savage's resume? 

545791[/snapback]

Savage spent the past nine seasons with the Baltimore Ravens organization, including 2003-04 as the Ravens' director of player personnel. He is known as one of the NFL's top talent evaluators.

In Baltimore, the 14-year veteran of the league, worked directly with general manager Ozzie Newsome to oversee college and pro scouting. While there, Savage was involved in many of the day-to-day operations of the team and also negotiated contracts of late-round draft picks.

How sad.

This is fun speculation and all, but it probably doesn't matter, because I just can't see the Bills being fortunate enough to land Savage as GM.

545798[/snapback]

um, why not? all it takes is money.......you think ralph is too cheap???

and for those who enjoy trashing profootballtalk.com every chance they get, you might want to give them a little props for breaking this story before espn or any of the other big boys......they might get stories wrong, but they sure seem to get a fair chunk right as well.......this sure sheds some light on the "salary cap" issue mentioned by mort.........note the time this story was posted..........

POSTED 11:12 a.m. EST, December 30, 2005

SAVAGE, COLLINS ON THE OUTS IN CLEVELAND?

There's growing talk in league circles that Browns G.M. Phil Savage and President/CEO John Collins are not getting along and that, by extension, the bad blood is flowing between Savage and owner Randy Lerner.

Collins, a previous employee of the league office, was hired by Lerner in May 2004. The scuttlebutt in league circles is that Collin was the fall guy for the Janet Jackson Super Bowl boob flap, and that the NFL steered him in the direction of Lerner.

Lerner, who was still new at the time to the whole ownership thing following his father's passing in October 2002, took a liking to Collins and put him at the top of the organization.

After Butch Davis was run out of town in 2004, Lerner and Collins hired Savage away from the Ravens to serve as the new General Manager in January 2005.

Less than a year later, it's apparently not working out. We're hearing that Collins has concerns about Savage's performance -- which makes no sense to us since Collins, a career marketing and advertising foof, has nothing in his background that would allow him to adequately assess whether the G.M. of a football team is doing his job well.

And there's also talk that Collins quietly is in the process of hiring NFL in-house lawyer Mike Keenan to take over the salary cap management duties, which would displace current cap coordinator Trip MacCracken. The potential move is being viewed as a direct encroachment on Savage's turf, and it's prompting some to wonder whether Savage might soon be leaving the team, voluntarily or otherwise.

Stay tuned.

My husband (a diehard Browns fan) is livid.  He said his board is going crazy.

I have to admit - this seems like a pretty suspect decision on the part of the Browns.

See link.

545770[/snapback]

I just saw this link on espn as well. What a way to screw up an organization that was turning things around with him and Crennel. If he is let go, I hope we can get him. It would be great to have a house cleaning here of players and coaches.