Positives about these new contracts

todd

I know everyone is hell bent on sh!tt!ing on everything Bills management related these days, but I thought I might mention a few positives. I know this will piss people off, but whatever.

First, signing McGee to an extended contract was very smart. We get him for less $$ than we would have given a FA situation, and we get to count part of the signing bonus vs. THIS year's cap. This is good news, as it helps our depth and cap number for years going forward. Smart move by TD, even if he is outta here. One less thing the new GM must do when he's hired.

Secondly, signing crowell is another great move, as it does the same thing cap-wise. We get to count his bonus in this year's cap, and leaves more room for further signings in the coming offseason. Smart stuff. Not to mention that he's a very good LB. He's no spikes, but that type of depth for that price is invaluable, especially with the dollars we're going to need to spend in the next few years to become respectable again.

I know everyone hates TD right now, including me, but these are two big positives for the team that will help in the years forward.

Don't forget signing Schobel last year or Moorman the year before. Like everyone, TD makes his mistakes in drafting players (see, e.g., Big Mike) but he (or someone) has a talent for recognizing a good one at a low profile spot on the roster and signing him on the cheap before he hits the FA market.