Legal music downloads

Webster Guy

I am ready to start obtaining music on a legal basis.  I see songs are 99 cents.  How does this work?  I want to download a music file, keep it stored in my computer or iriver, and burn it to a CD.  Do these services let you burn the music you download?

Thanks,

Jeff

541209[/snapback]

It depends. There are two types of services, subscription based (which you have to pay a montly fee to access the music) which you can play on your computer and a WMA-subscription compatible mp3 player, and non-subscription based, which you have to pay per song.

There are cheaper places to download music at then 99c a song. For example, Walmart's Music Downloads cost around 88c per song.

With Walmart's music, they use WMA DRM enabled songs, so for 88c a song, if you want to transfer it to a portable music device (mp3 player), you *must* have one that supports DRM.

Here is what you get with Walmart's music downloads -

* Download the music to 1 computer and back up music to 2 additional computers (see instructions below)

* Make 10 burns to a CD

* Make unlimited transfers to a portable device

A quick look at the iTunes page shows this for 99c a song -

Burn songs onto an unlimited number of CDs for your personal use, sync music to an unlimited number of iPods and play songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store on up to five Macs or Windows PCs.

Personally, because I don't need to burn songs to CD, I use Yahoo! to go unlimited Music service. For 11.99 a month (9.99 billed annually), I get unlimited play on my pc and transfer to my iRiver H10. No need to purcahse individual songs, but it does require a subscription.

I am ready to start obtaining music on a legal basis.  I see songs are 99 cents.  How does this work?  I want to download a music file, keep it stored in my computer or iriver, and burn it to a CD.  Do these services let you burn the music you download?

Thanks,

Jeff

541209[/snapback]

Rhapdsody allowd you to burn music as well as just listen to it online. That's what I do.

Whatever

541509[/snapback]

RealNetworks cares nada about their customers. For years, they've been trying to hide free players in tiny little links in corners of pages so that you can't find them, and will be forced into paying for an unnecessary upgrade to their "Pro" software. Lately they've changed that design a bit after many consumer groups started complaining.

There have been numerous probes into their privacy practices since their inception.

They also willingly violated the DMCA in order to spread their music to the Apple iPod. This is even after they asked Apple to partner, and Apple said no. RealNetworks then starts a website at www.musicfreedomofchoice.org petitioning Apple to remove the lock-out from their products, but then removes the petition when many of the signers complain about RealNetworks' similar policies.

Real also has had numerous flaws in their media players and software, one which they finally patched last month, and one which they've known about for 60 days and don't consider an issue. This security flaw would allow remote code execution on a person's pc.

Cartalk, which is a very popular radio show on NPR, switched from realnetworks streaming to Windows Media streaming because of all the tactics Real tries to get people to guy their "Pro" player with. Their quote: "It stinks so much that it even makes Microsoft look good by comparison. That's something, huh?'"

Oh, and lets not forget the other wonderful parts of their software:

- All of the extra crap that they install on your computer, that you didn't ask for and don't need.

- It will take you weeks to learn all the tons of things you need to turn off to keep that thing from harrassing you.

- if you don't register, it keeps asking you each time you try to play a file. You get choice OK-Cancel (among other issues) which implies either register, or don't play. Quicken does the same horrible thing with their update feature...

RealNetworks cares nada about their customers.  For years, they've been trying to hide free players in tiny little links in corners of pages so that you can't find them, and will be forced into paying for an unnecessary upgrade to their "Pro" software.  Lately they've changed that design a bit after many consumer groups started complaining.

There have been numerous probes into their privacy practices since their inception.  

Yeah, I am well aware of how they were doing things back then. Keyword being, then ~1999. However, things have changed since then. Nor are they the only ones who have been called out for that stuff.

They also willingly violated the DMCA in order to spread their music to the Apple iPod.  This is even after they asked Apple to partner, and Apple said no.  RealNetworks then starts a website at www.musicfreedomofchoice.org petitioning Apple to remove the lock-out from their products, but then removes the petition when many of the signers complain about RealNetworks' similar policies.

Show me a company that isn't hypocritical. As for the violation, why hasn't Apple gone after them in court? Reverse engineering is nothing new.

Real also has had numerous flaws in their media players and software, one which they finally patched last month, and one which they've known about for 60 days and don't consider an issue.  This security flaw would allow remote code execution on a person's pc.

EVERY piece of software has flaws! Last time I checked, iTunes and QT have had security flaws that Apple sat on their butts about. Same with MS WMP, I could go on. Does that make it right? No, but don't act like Real is the only company who has ever done such a thing.

Cartalk, which is a very popular radio show on NPR, switched from realnetworks streaming to Windows Media streaming because of all the tactics Real tries to get people to guy their "Pro" player with.  Their quote:  "It stinks so much that it even makes Microsoft look good by comparison. That's something, huh?'"

Think about it. Real makes money of people buying their services. WMP does not, because the WMP division is subsidized by MS. As for the tactics, what company doesn't employ tactics to get people to buy their stuff?

Oh, and lets not forget the other wonderful parts of their software:

- All of the extra crap that they install on your computer, that you didn't ask for and don't need.

- It will take you weeks to learn all the tons of things you need to turn off to keep that thing from harrassing you.

- if you don't register, it keeps asking you each time you try to play a file. You get choice OK-Cancel (among other issues) which implies either register, or don't play. Quicken does the same horrible thing with their update feature...

541563[/snapback]

Got news for you, they have gotten rid of a lot of that stuff quite a while ago. FYI, it doesn't take weeks to learn how to turn the pop-ups off. All you have to do is look at the Help topics in the Help menu.

Yeah, I am well aware of how they were doing things back then.  Keyword being, then ~1999.  However, things have changed since then.  Nor are they the only ones who have been called out for that stuff.

Thats true, they aren't the only ones who have been called out on that stuff. However, the current RealNetworks doesn't seem to be any better (or more trustworthy) with their current business practices.

Show me a company that isn't hypocritical.  As for the violation, why hasn't Apple gone after them in court?  Reverse engineering is nothing new.

Let's see here. Companies that offer rhapsody-like services who have never violated the DMCA on Apple or similar hardware:

* 1 Audible.com

* 2 iTunes Music Store

* 3 Sony Connect

* 4 AllOfMP3.com

* 5 eMusic.com

* 6 Independent Music Online

* 7 Magnatune

* 8 MusicNet

* 9 BuyMusic

* 10 Napster

* 11 Musicmatch Downloads (aka Dell Music Store)

* 12 MSN Music

* 13 Jeff O's Retro Music

* 14 Download Music Mart

* 15 Puretracks

* 16 Mindawn

* 17 SacredAudio

* 18 Yahoo! Music Unlimited

EVERY piece of software has flaws!  Last time I checked, iTunes and QT have had security flaws that Apple sat on their butts about. Same with MS WMP, I could go on. Does that make it right? No, but don't act like Real is the only company who has ever done such a thing.

Yeah no kidding, all companies do it. The fact that they do it as well, combined with their long track record for being a dishonorable company, all adds up.

Think about it.  Real makes money of people buying their services.  WMP does not, because the WMP division is subsidized by MS.  As for the tactics, what company doesn't employ tactics to get people to buy their stuff?

Got news for you, they have gotten rid of a lot of that stuff quite a while ago.  FYI, it doesn't take weeks to learn how to turn the pop-ups off.  All you have to do is look at the Help topics in the Help menu.

541629[/snapback]

Not really. Why do you think there is still a huge development and demand for Real Alternative? The same reason as there is the huge development for QuickTime alternative - they still have all that crap in their programs.

I don't like iTunes or RealNetworks for reasons of their players, and would recommend neither to a user. However, RealNetworks is by far the more dishonorable company.

Yeah no kidding, all companies do it.  The fact that they do it as well, combined with their long track record for being a dishonorable company, all adds up.

Have you ever done business with Real Networks?

From the corporate venue, we have where I work. In fact, several groups (the group I work for included) on campus just negotiated a campus site license for Real products. Nothing dishonorable in our negotiations. Nothing dishonorable in our working with them for the past 5 years.

From the personal venue, I have used their services for several years now with no dishonorable behavior from them

Not really.  Why do you think there is still a huge development and demand for Real Alternative?  The same reason as there is the huge development for QuickTime alternative - they still have all that crap in their programs.

Why don’t you elaborate on what “crap” is still in these programs? I haven’t found anything you can’t turn off.

As for the demand for alternatives, you are *always* going to have demand for alternatives from the major players.

I don't like iTunes or RealNetworks for reasons of their players, and would recommend neither to a user.  However, RealNetworks is by far the more dishonorable company.

541815[/snapback]

You know, I find it interesting that you criticize Real for supposedly not respecting Apple and the DMCA, but yet in the TCD forum you just recommended the FreeRIP program. From looking at FreeRIP site, they list the ability to read and convert WMA encoded files over to other formats. Last time I checked, the MS WMA format is a closed, proprietary, and patented format. So FreeRip is apparently violating the DMCA in regards to MS IP. So how are they more honorable or trust worthy than Real?

Have you ever done business with Real Networks? 

From the corporate venue, we have where I work.  In fact, several groups (the group I work for included) on campus just negotiated a campus site license for Real products.  Nothing dishonorable in our negotiations.  Nothing dishonorable in our working with them for the past 5 years.

From the personal venue, I have used their services for several years now with no dishonorable behavior from them

I have actually. I've used them before with Starz! movie pass, and have found both their customer serivce website and phone support horrible. It was a neat idea when it first came out, but better done by other companies.

The corporate world is *much* different in my experience with real then in the personal one. They are cool beans to me in the corporate world. The University that I work for also has negotiated a deal with real, not only to use their streaming and products, but to offer an ad-free version of Real Player to download for students.

I have no problems at all with their dealings with the University, just with their personal customers.

Why don’t you elaborate on what “crap” is still in these programs?  I haven’t found anything you can’t turn off.

Yeah, I haven't found anything you can't turn off either. However, the inclusion of other companies programs (google toolbar, google desktop, their ad software, etc). However, even the *inclusion* of such software is enough to turn experienced computer users off on it.

Real, iTunes, etc they all do it. And they all piss me off the same way.

As for the demand for alternatives, you are *always* going to have demand for alternatives from the major players.

And thank god. All the major players turn into bloatware sooner or later it seems.

Only WMP doesn't come bundled with stuff, beacuse they don't get paid by other companies to include their products in the download. (Which, I contend, is a dishonorable thing for either company to do - google or real).

You know, I find it interesting that you criticize Real for supposedly not respecting Apple and the DMCA, but yet in the TCD forum you just recommended the FreeRIP program.  From looking at FreeRIP site, they list the ability to read and convert WMA encoded files over to other formats.  Last time I checked, the MS WMA format is a closed, proprietary, and patented format.  So FreeRip is apparently violating the DMCA in regards to MS IP. So how are they more honorable or trust worthy than Real?

There's a big difference here though.

First off, FreeRIP didn't actually contact Microsoft to get an OK by this. FreeRIP also didn't violate Microsoft's WMP DRM software. Lastly, FreeRIP wasn't inhibinting one of Microsoft's primary sources of income.

Real did all 3 to Apple, and STILL decided to do what they did.