"It's JP's Team"

Clockwork

Actually TD's track record is pretty impressive.  Go back and look at what he did with the Steelers (Simon did a post awhile back with his drafts) and even his drafts in Buffalo have been pretty good in terms of how many good players he's selected.  What has been his undoing is his inability to build a teamand select a capable head coach.

538589[/snapback]

I agree that what TD did while with the Steelers was impressive. I wish his record here was more like that.

The best way to judge TD's success in using the draft to build the team is to ask how many draft picks have proven worthy of starting positions. None on the o-line, or at TE. For WR it's Lee Evans and not much else. (Josh Reed was worried about making the final roster, so that shows that he still has a lot to prove.) In the backfield there's McGahee, but we don't know one way or the other about Losman. On offense, that's two proven starters from the draft: Evans and McGahee.

On defense, you have some draft picks on the d-line who are starting, but the only one who deserves to is Aaron Schobel. At LB, I'm willing to give TD credit for Angelo Crowell, even though he's technically a backup. In the defensive backfield, you've got Clements and McGee. So that's four proven starters on defense: Schobel, Crowell, Clements, and McGee. Adding in the two on offense, that's just six players in five years. Just six players out of your 22 starters. Not good enough.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic