Tim Couch sighting

Odd...I thought Couch was battling with the Packers about an injury settlement...

Cincy Enquirer 12/8/05

Mark Curnutte, Enquirer staff writer

"COUCH TRYOUT: Lewis confirmed the team held a tryout Tuesday for former UK and Browns quarterback Tim Couch.

But Lewis would not elaborate whether the team has interest in signing Couch as a possible replacement for backup quarterback Jon Kitna, who will be a free agent after this season.

"It's not a concern of mine right now," Lewis said.

Lewis, asked if Kitna would re-sign, said: "I hope so. Hopefully, we will get him signed up."

Kitna said he still thinks he can start. There are teams where he would be a significant upgrade, such as Baltimore.

Cleveland released Couch, the first pick in the 1999 NFL draft, in 2004. He later was cut by the Packers and has been out of football since.

Craig Krenzel is the Bengals' No. 3 quarterback, and he is signed through 2007."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../512080330/1066

Well, good luck with that.  :)

Tim Couch seems like a decent guy.  He had the whole Browns team on his shoulders, and it was really an impossible situation.  He got hurt a LOT.

Mike

524845[/snapback]

I always liked Couch. He and Kevin Johnson lit it up for several years, despite iffy OL's and very little running game.

I always like Couch. He and Kevin Johnson lit it up for several years, despite iffy OL's and very little running game.

524862[/snapback]

No arm anymore. Didn't he have the dreaded rotator cuff?? I remember him trying to throw a four-yard out when he was getting a look from the Packers, and he two-hopped it to the guy's feet. Doesn't bode well for Chad and the Jets, as CP has done his shoulder up twice.

No arm anymore.  Didn't he have the dreaded rotator cuff??  I remember him trying to throw a four-yard out when he was getting a look from the Packers, and he two-hopped it to the guy's feet.  Doesn't bode well for Chad and the Jets, as CP has done his shoulder up twice.

524867[/snapback]

I think you're right - rotator cup.

My guess is that the try-out is just a "courtesy", what with his local ties.

It will be interesting to see what transpires with Kitna, though.

As of today, Brees will be an unrestricted free agent on March 2nd. Hence, NO trade is neccessary right now.....just a boat load of money!! Incidently, the Chargers WILL do anything at this stage to keep him (can anyone say franchise tag?)

As of today, Brees will be an unrestricted free agent on March 2nd. Hence, NO trade is neccessary right now.....just a boat load of money!! Incidently, the Chargers WILL do anything at this stage to keep him (can anyone say franchise tag?)

525191[/snapback]

He's franchise tagged this year. While its a pretty good chunk of change (average of the Top 5 salaries at your position,) players don't really like it because they miss out on that huge multi-million $$$ signing bonus. That is a one-time boatload of cash in your pocket. I think they have to sign Brees and trade Rivers. Too risky to keep Rivers and have him suck after the two years Brees has just put up. They have a nice team, and the fans would never forgive them for trading Brees if Rivers didn't pan out.

Anyone know- Is there a limit to how many years in a row you can franchise the same player???

He's franchise tagged this year.  While its a pretty good chunk of change (average of the Top 5 salaries at your position,) players don't really like it because they miss out on that huge multi-million $$$ signing bonus.  That is a one-time boatload of cash in your pocket.  I think they have to sign Brees and trade Rivers.  Too risky to keep Rivers and have him suck after the two years Brees has just put up.  They have a nice team, and the fans would never forgive them for trading Brees if Rivers didn't pan out.

Anyone know- Is there a limit to how many years in a row you can franchise the same player???

525260[/snapback]

One player per season. But if a contract with that player isn't agreed to, a team can't name another the following year.

I wonder about River's marketability - big contract, and probably questions remain about his collegiate side-arm delivery.

But if a contract with that player isn't agreed to, a team can't name another the following year.

525268[/snapback]

That's not true: Donovin Darius of the Jags was named the franchise player two years in a row. They didn't sign him to a long-term deal, and didn't lose the tag.

Is there a limit to how many years in a row you can tag the same player, i.e. Jags continue to franchise Darius for another 4 or 5 years???

That's not true: Donovin Darius of the Jags was named the franchise player two years in a row.  They didn't sign him to a long-term deal, and didn't lose the tag. 

Is there a limit to how many years in a row you can tag the same player, i.e. Jags continue to franchise Darius for another 4 or 5 years???

525282[/snapback]

Hmmmm....I think there's something about IF you negotiate BEFORE July such-and such etc.

That's what I get for tryin' to help... :flirt::D

I think you're right - rotator cup.

My guess is that the try-out is just a "courtesy", what with his local ties.

It will be interesting to see what transpires with Kitna, though.

524878[/snapback]

Couch has muscle / tissue tear in his forearms... They tried to chaclk it up to overuse, but it may be a condition that will prevent him from returning for a full season.

It's one of the reasons' Kelly Holcomb got the audition and ended up coming here.

I think the Packers thing was a shaft job by the team. Tim prolly wouldn't complain, but hs has superagent or is that superass) Leigh (my first name is a girls') Steinberg.

I guess it's better than having Drew (I'm useless) rosenhaus.

Tim can chuck that ball when healthy, just wondering how healthy he really is.