Question for the experts

GG

What's the difference with this defense giving up 21 points in a quarter, in whether it happens in 1Q or 4Q?

Other than the embarrassment factor, none.

To me, this goes back to the fundamental problem with this defense that goes back years - they cannot pressure the QB with the front four, and by indiscriminant blitzes they expose a very soft underneath.

We discussed this in AKC's DL thread a few weeks back in questioning why opposing offenses don't run the hurry up against Bills, because they can put up points very quickly, without much opposition. The response I got on why teams don't do it, is difficulty to field personnel & game plan for that typ eof an offense.

Sure enough, with Frerotte, Dolphins had a base offense and Bills stopped it. But Rosenfels was running the hurry up, and was able to nickel & dime Bills' defense to 21 points in 13 minutes. This is not unprecedented. In fact, it's more common than not.

What's the difference with this defense giving up 21 points in a quarter, in whether it happens in 1Q or 4Q? 

Other than the embarrassment factor, none.

To me, this goes back to the fundamental problem with this defense that goes back years - they cannot pressure the QB with the front four, and by indiscriminant blitzes they expose a very soft underneath.

We discussed this in AKC's DL thread a few weeks back in questioning why opposing offenses don't run the hurry up against Bills, because they can put up points very quickly, without much opposition.  The response I got on why teams don't do it, is difficulty to field personnel & game plan for that typ eof an offense.

Sure enough, with Frerotte, Dolphins had a base offense and Bills stopped it.  But Rosenfels was running the hurry up, and was able to nickel & dime Bills' defense to 21 points in 13 minutes.  This is not unprecedented.  In fact, it's more common than not.

520850[/snapback]

Maybe you're right but giving up 21 in the fourth may mean the problem lies not solely on the defense but in the offenses inabilty to sustain ball and clock control.