Line Reconstruction...

cale

Uhhhhhh.Kzoo--could you explain that DE logic again for me?? it sounded ill logical.

Our defense was never the best in the league--unless it was against the Browns at the Ralph.--and Because our former DTs covered up for their ineptness the DEs are now not a problem/priority??

514985[/snapback]

The Bills defense was 1st in the league in 2003 and 2004 in average yards per play. That statistic is a much better overall indicator of success then yards per game, but if you want to go by yards a game we ranked 2nd both years.

From those numbers a logical assumption would be that the defense is pretty good, but as you pointed out the strength of your opponents does matter. So I visted

FootballOutsiders.com Who created a ranking system that pretty much destroys every other in existence. It's so good in fact that a major media outlet in Fox adopted the rankings for it's power rankings. I'm not going to get into the details oh how exactly they do it because you can check out the link, but they do include a heavy adjustment for strength of schedule. According to them the Bills ranked 7th in 2003, and 1st in 2004 in total defense.

So now we have actual facts that say our defense was pretty damn good those two years, and we have a ton of evidence to support that our defense is pretty awful this season. The DE's remained the same for both the good and bad defenses, while the DT's went from Adams and Pat, to Anderson and Bannon. Sounds a little more logical to me that it’s the DT’s.

i like the ideas, but i still think we can salvage mike williams if the price is right.

Gandy/peters, hutch, bently, preston, williams would be a VERY solid line and the best in buffalo since a guy named jim was calling his own plays

514976[/snapback]

I like that line, except I'd substitute our 1st round pick on one of the blue chippers coming out at LT, with Gandy, Peters, Geisinger as depth. Now that would be a line (I can dream, right?!) Unfortunately, in reality I don't see us getting Hutch or Bentley, especially Hutch.