Kicking Game Nearly Does in the Irish...

Alaska Darin

but they hold on to beat Stanford and pretty much clinch a BS (sic) bowl bid. I sincerely hope that Coach Weis goes out and recruits some better athletes on the defensive side of the football for the future. It's not good for the stress level watching the corners get burned over and over again when they're needed most.

Tip of the cap to the Cardinal who certainly played their behinds off in the last ever game played at the old stadium. Great game between two programs that "get it."

Fear not....according to Blue & Gold, the Irish have a very good recruiting class coming in next year. :blink:

Stanford always seems to play their very best against ND. ND moved the ball all night (great game by Walker), but couldn't put them away. And then the safties get burned for a 70 yard gain in the last minute while protecting a lead -- AGAIN! I was getting deja vu from the USC game. Fortunately Samardzija and Stovall bailed them out on the winning drive.

Fear not....according to Blue & Gold, the Irish have a very good recruiting class coming in next year.  :blink:

Stanford always seems to play their very best against ND.  ND moved the ball all night (great game by Walker), but couldn't put them away.  And then the safties get burned for a 70 yard gain in the last minute while protecting a lead -- AGAIN!  I was getting deja vu from the USC game.  Fortunately Samardzija and Stovall bailed them out on the winning drive.

513197[/snapback]

I honestly thought we left too much time on the clock when we scored that last one. Thankfully, the DLine was able to salt it away rushing only 3 guys because I had a feeling that if they could complete one intermediate pass they'd find a way to score.

I heard one of the "muckety-mucks" talking about how good next season's class is going to be. We'll see but it's nice to hear such speculation - it's been awhile.

This game reminded me WAY too much of the 36-31 loss in the early 90s (the game we couldn't stop Ed Friggin' McCaffrey). Still, I'm not about to complain too much about a 9-2 season when I figured 8-3 was the best we could do and 7-4 was most likely.

I was sweating a little bit but I was 95% certain we would score on that last drive. It was amusing to hear dumbass Fouts spout off about what a terrible move it was for us to call timeout when Stanford had the ball at the 4. Between him and Fat Pig Keith it is unbearable to listen.

I did question Weis' decision to let DJ kick that last field goal. If you saw the Cuse game last week, you saw how far his knee twisted on that last kick and it was obvious he was off tonight. I pray this month off gives him the time he needs to heal because we need a clutch kicker in the bowl game.

DW....best night of his career and we sure needed every yard. The last TD run was one of the hardest runs I've seen in awhile.

GO IRISH!!....Rest up boys.....Arizona awaits :blink:

I was sweating a little bit but I was 95% certain we would score on that last drive. It was amusing to hear dumbass Fouts spout off about what a terrible move it was for us to call timeout when Stanford had the ball at the 4. Between him and Fat Pig Keith it is unbearable to listen.

I was positive we were going to score. Fouts was correct in that the timeout allowed Stanford to get back in control but I thought the timeout was the right call because I was quite sure they were going to score and I wanted Brady to have as much time as possible to get it done.

I did question Weis' decision to let DJ kick that last field goal. If you saw the Cuse game last week, you saw how far his knee twisted on that last kick and it was obvious he was off tonight. I pray this month off gives him the time he needs to heal because we need a clutch kicker in the bowl game.

Me too. Loudly. I love DJ but he just ain't right - that hit really screwed him up. It was such a chippy there was no reason to put him in there.

DW....best night of his career and we sure needed every yard. The last TD run was one of the hardest runs I've seen in awhile.

Mostly because of turnovers and special teams blunders. Not our best effort but I give this team an "A" for being resolute. They really don't quit - unlike Ty's teams.

GO IRISH!!....Rest up boys.....Arizona awaits :(

513234[/snapback]

I really hope so.

I

513234[/snapback]

I couldn't stand listening to those two Pac-10 homers.

Jackson will only call Pac-10 games,

and Fouts is a Pac-10 alunni with Oregon still in the hunt.

Pathetic.

So I watched hockey.

I couldn't stand listening to those two Pac-10 homers.

Jackson will only call Pac-10 games,

and Fouts is a Pac-10 alunni with Oregon still in the hunt.

Pathetic.

So I watched hockey.

513842[/snapback]

In fairness to Fouts, Stanford really gave a terrific effort and was the story of the game.

I was positive we were going to score.  Fouts was correct in that the timeout allowed Stanford to get back in control but I thought the timeout was the right call because I was quite sure they were going to score and I wanted Brady to have as much time as possible to get it done.

513812[/snapback]

I realize that calling the timeout helped Stanford a little bit as it did allow them to setup, but in my mind, that little advantage was insignificant next to allowing the clock to run and not giving us ample time for a drive. I agree with you, they WERE going to score. My beef was that Fouts was idignant and he didn't even stop to realize the full situation while he was lambasting us.

About the final drive, I offered to bet anyone in the room $$ that we would win the game. My only fears were that:

a. We would get into FG range and stall.....and i reeeeealllly did not want another FG attempt.

b. Brady was kind of off anyway and I was nervous that he might try to force something and get another pick.

It was a lot scarier than it should have been, but it was a good test of our resolve. Plus, we hadn't been on the road in almost TWO months....I think we let this one slip away under Tyrone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.