Let's be sensible here

Tolstoy

and their success over the long term.

510469[/snapback]

Fair enough, but how do you measure success and how long do you give TD to attain success?

Ralph may measure success by "butts in seats," but as a fan, I measure it by wins and post-season appearances. In my book, TD has failed in Buffalo. It's not like we are even close enough to justify giving TD another year - that was the excuse for this year.

Most of TD's choices seemed good to me at the time he made them - that just means that I would have also failed. Fortunately I'm not the GM.

Our starting OL is now comprised of ZERO Bills draft picks. You'd be hard pressed to find a winning team in the league today that has such a dubious distinction. We haven't had a Bills drafted DL or LB in the pro bowl in years.

Our starting Safeties are in the same boat.

As were our starting LB's until Spikes got hurt.

The simple truth of the matter is that the core talent of a team usually comes through your 1st day draft picks, and particularly the 1st and 2nd rounds. Donahoe has had 10 drafts with the Bills, and in those 10 drafts we spent a whopping *eight* picks on QB, WR, and RB.

The truth of the matter is that Donahoe built a team around Drew Bledsoe, Travis Henry, Eric Moulds, and Josh Reed (as well as Greg Wiliams) and after three years was forced to completely rip out that team in favor of the new JP Losman, Willis McGahee, Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, and Roscoe Parrish team (as well as Mike Mularkey.) That's a huge investment to have go bust, and then be completely rebuilt in the space of just five years. Toss in the occasional bust like Mike Williams, and it should be no surprise as to why the Bills' talent cupboard is bare.

The only question really is - do we see "Donahoe Project 2.0" through to its completion (i.e. 2006), or do we advocate the firing of Donahoe at the end of 2005 based on the failure of "Donahoe Project 1.0" - and bring in a new GM, new Coach, and probably a ripping apart of the team and starting over?

JDG

This game as been and always be a game won in the treches. If TD has done anything wrong, its his failure to build up the O and D lines. I know he's drafted a few players and brought some Free agents in, but given the poorness of our lines we need alot more attention there, period. Higher draft picks, more free agent money, something.

The second thing I would argue is the head coaching. I hated the GW hiring. It proved to be a bust. I wasn't so hot on the MM hiring either, but agreed to give a while to see. Because MM did have a few things I thought going for him. Well, 1.5 years later, I'm about ready to call MM a bust as well. In my opinion, the biggest problem we currently have is the team seems outcoached and continually comes out flat when they should be pumped to play.

Right, the only injury to the defense, besides Ron Edwards, London Fletcher, Terrence McGee, Kevin Thomas, and Lawyer Milloy.  Besides those, he's the only guy who's been hurt.  :)

509803[/snapback]

Funny, but for a while there it seemed like every week were were up against a secondary that had lost 2 starters, and would proceed to lose a third in the game... didn't seem to hurt them too much.