ot car

Mile High

There are alot of auto parts stores that will do free alternator testing. If you don't know how to do it yourself, take it to one of them. If the car died at a light, while it had been running, it very well could be the alt. as well as a bad or loose belt. Good luck

There are alot of auto parts stores that will do free alternator testing.  If you don't know how to do it yourself, take it to one of them.  If the car died at a light, while it had been running, it very well could be the alt.  as well as a bad or loose belt.  Good luck

36633[/snapback]

how do i check it myself? anyone?

how do i check it myself?  anyone?

36638[/snapback]

You would need a DC Voltmeter. BTW this varies from car to car, but the alternator should test between 12-15volts. If you turn on your headlights and radio, you should still be getting a steady 12-15volts.

You can also test your battery. This also varies from car to car... but you should get something between 12-13 volts.

The best bet is to head down to autozone for a free test. They have the tools to be able to figure it out.

It's your alternator .... Once your car is running, if the alternator is working you can disconnect the battery and it will keep running. When your alternator dies, the car will keep going for a few days, running off the battery until it gets too weak and then Bam your car dies. Like others said just about any parts store can verify it for you .... Pull it and take it in.

Rich

by the sounds of it, based on the amp you described and how the car died on you, its the battery. Cars will either not start or will die suddenly, usually after the RPM's go down to idle, if its the battery. If the alternator fails, the car will slowly die on you. The lights will dim and eventually it will die alltogether. My wife has had good luck with the wal mart battery we got. They install it for free and its guarenteed. $60 i think... better your battery than your alternator though.

Might want to look at the circuitry of how that amp is hooked up. I'm not an electrician, but i do know you can get stuff so it won't drain the battery.

The fact that your battery light had been on for awhile is a big clue.

A circuit looks at the voltage that the alternator is producing, and turns the battery light on if it is low. The battery light indicates a battery charging problem. If the battery light comes on and stays on while you are driving you may have a broken alternator belt. Total failure of the alternator is another possibility.

You can operate your car normally even though the battery light is on because your car can run off the energy stored in the battery. Your car will run fine until the battery goes dead.

Have a mechanic check it out. Most will test it for free knowing they will get the repair work if there is a problem. If it was your alternator you may need a new battery now too depending on how old it was. Old batteries that get completely drained never really recharge and will end up dying shortly after.