DVD burning question

NCDAWG

Steal my work?  I'll SUE!!!!

Take another's work...well, yeah, dunno, er...fair use...they're a big company, so...would I stick a disc in my pocket from a store?..NO!!!..that would be stealing...

:)

493807[/snapback]

There actually is a big difference between stealing and copyright infringement. Stealing = material loss (ie: putting a disc in your pocket from a store). You take it, the store no longer has the property anymore. Downloading is copyright infringement -- you have a copy, but you're not depriving anyone else from using it.

Both are illegal, but they're not the same thing.

To me, the interesting part of this article is:

The family already owned three of the four titles on DVD, he said.

If I already own the DVD, am I really breaking the law by downloading it? I venture to say no, although I'm no lawyer.

CW

If I already own the DVD, am I really breaking the law by downloading it?  I venture to say no, although I'm no lawyer.

CW

493822[/snapback]

I'd like to say no, because I believe possessing a copy of a movie you already own should be acceptable in the absence of any intent to distribute.

In this case, however, the kid participated in the illegal distribution of a copyrighted material through downloading it...which is illegal regardless of the "license agreement" in place through the established ownership of the movie.