My Mid-Season Report Card

Mikie2times

Let’s try and keep this realistic as I’m curious to how people feel.

Here are my midseason grades with the following scale.

A: Huge impact, among the best performances in the league

B: Consistently making a positive impact in the outcome of games

C: NFL average, not going to help you much, but won’t kill you either

D: Consistently making a negative impact in the outcome of games

F: Huge liability, among the worst performances in the league.

I will also include the +/- format as I feel some positions fall in between these definitions. Finally I factored in all the players into these positions, for example QB is not just Holcomb, but both Holcomb and JP’s performances combined.

QB: D+

RB: A

FB: C+

WR: C

TE: F

LT: B-

LG: D

C: C+

RG: B-

RT: D

LE: C

LDT: B-

RDT: F

RDE: B-

SLB: C

MLB: B

WLB: C+

LCB: B

RCB: A

SS: B-

FS: C+

PR: C+

KR: A

P: B-

K: A-

HC: C

OC: C-

DC: D

RB: B

C: D

RG: D

MLB: C

LCB: B-

RCB: A-

P: B

HC: C-

OC: D

GM: D Overestimated the talent on this roster, prior to opening day.

Mine were almost the same as yours. Good job.

Head Coach- F

This team has no personality. It has no idea how to win games just how to lose them. I blame the coach.

492845[/snapback]

It isn't no personality, this group of boys has no IDENTITY.

They have no LEADERSHIP.

They have no CONTINUITY.

They have no CONSISTANCY.

They have no CHEMISTRY.

I guess that is what a "players' coach" brings.

I do agree with your assessment on the "Head Coach". He is now praying that he can find another "spark" to save his team, to save his reputauion, to validify his techniques, and to save his butt.

But, I also have to give somewhat of a bye on Mularkey. He, like Losman, has no experience and is being judged on too few games.

The reality is the grading of the GM:________

I guess that is what a "players' coach" brings.

493159[/snapback]

What does "players coach" mean? Belicheck is a "player's coach"..no? I don't hear players complaining about playing for him. Parcells must be the ULTIMATE player's coach. He brings the same players with him from team-to-team. Coughlin is not a player's coach...he's a douchebag. But as he has ZERO SuperBowl appearances I guess that's not the answer.

WHAT is a "Player's coach"? <_<

My guess is "no nonsense". :wub:

What does "players coach" mean?  Belicheck is a "player's coach"..no?  I don't hear players complaining about playing for him.  Parcells must be the ULTIMATE player's coach.  He brings the same players with him from team-to-team.  Coughlin is not a player's coach...he's a douchebag.  But as he has ZERO SuperBowl appearances I guess that's not the answer.

WHAT is a "Player's coach"?  <_<

My guess is "no nonsense".  :wub:

493237[/snapback]

In my understanding a "Players' Coach" is a coach that used to be a player at the level he is coaching. He is supposed to understand what it is like being a player and is supposed to make decisions with the players mentality. He is supposed to reflect his experiences in their identity and their systems. Basically, Mularkey treats these guys with kid gloves.

Levy said the most important thing about being a coach is not motivation, but to find self motivated individuals and to convince them into the system being employed. The team work will follow. The chemistry will follow. The level attention will be elevated because they believe in the systems, They have trust in the coaches.

I don't see that here.

In my understanding a "Players' Coach" is a coach that used to be a player at the level he is coaching. He is supposed to understand what it is like being a player and is supposed to make decisions with the players mentality. He is supposed to reflect his experiences in their identity and their systems. Basically, Mularkey treats these guys with kid gloves.

Levy said the most important thing about being a coach is not motivation, but to find self motivated individuals and to convince them into the system being employed. The team work will follow. The chemistry will follow. The level attention will be elevated because they believe in the systems, They have trust in the coaches.

I don't see that here.

493243[/snapback]

As far as the explanation: Best I've heard...although I don't think that's how it's NORMALLY used...it's how it SHOULD be used. Good Job!

Belicheck is a "player's coach"..no? 

493237[/snapback]

I think the opposite- a guy like Parcells, a real players coach, would have mediated a situation like the Milloy separation no matter which way it had to play out. If you remember at that time Belichick floundered all over the place when that happened, similiar to the Bledsoe separation.

I've always gotten the feeling that players consider Belichick the booger-eater who keeps drawing 21 at the table- they're absolutely tolerant of having him around and they'll listen to him as long as they're winning. In contrast Parcells is a guy whose players want to drag him out partying with them. I've never noticed any indication of the type of collegiality Parcells gets between Belichick and his players. And the "Players Coach" tag seems more constent with the type of coach who goes to bat for the players with the team; in Belichick's case he seems to be almost completely hands off on personnel issues, surely publicly.

I will also include the +/- format as I feel some positions fall in between these definitions.  Finally I factored in all the players into these positions, for example QB is not just Holcomb, but both Holcomb and JP’s performances combined.

492839[/snapback]

I agree on everything except LT. I would put a C there instead of B-.

I think the opposite- a guy like Parcells, a real players coach, would have mediated a situation like the Milloy separation no matter which way it had to play out. If you remember at that time Belichick floundered all over the place when that happened, similiar to the Bledsoe separation.

I've always gotten the feeling that players consider Belichick the booger-eater who keeps drawing 21 at the table- they're absolutely tolerant of having him around and they'll listen to him as long as they're winning. In contrast Parcells is a guy whose players want to drag him out partying with them. I've never noticed any indication of the type of collegiality Parcells gets between Belichick and his players. And the "Players Coach" tag seems more constent with the type of coach who goes to bat for the players with the team; in Belichick's case he seems to be almost completely hands off on personnel issues, surely publicly.

493247[/snapback]

It's funny I always thought that BB didn't have enough personality to succeed as an HC (enough personality?...he doesn't have a SPECK of personality). But, you're correct, winning ameliorates his (perceived) inability to communicate with the players. OTOH, Parcells, seems like a love him or hate him kinda coach. I can see where he breeds loyalty from certain players.

Together they were the perfect coach. Parcells still has yet to go to the dance w/o BB. Parcells is not the genius he's made out to me. In fact, from what I've seen this season, he's made some seriously boneheaded decisions. I think BB was the brains and BP was the heart.

I will also include the +/- format as I feel some positions fall in between these definitions.  Finally I factored in all the players into these positions, for example QB is not just Holcomb, but both Holcomb and JP’s performances combined.

492839[/snapback]

I wouldn't be THAT harsh on the TE's. The OL is so bad that the TE's are often forced to stay in to block rather than become a factor in the passing game. A 'D' average would be more fair, with a 'C' grade in blocking but an 'F' in receiving.

Also, I think you're being a little generous at LG, center and at both DE positions. Teague, Schobel and Kelsay/Denney all have been far too inconsistent to deserve your grades. I'd give all 3 positions (center, RDE, LDE) about a 'D+.' As for Bennie? Easily an 'F.' He is among the 3-5 worst starting LG's in the league.

And finally, I'd give Mularkey a 'D+', both Gray/Clements a 'D-', and the GM (Teflon) an 'F'. Mularkey deserves the blame for having such a mentally soft team, Clements has had way too many Kevin Kill-drive scheming moments that hurt KH's chances as well as JP's development, and Gray can't make second half adjustments this year if his life depended on it. As for Teflon? Despite managing the salary cap well and despite all the "look-at-me" draft day shenanigans that actually brought in some very talented skill position players, his inept handling of the entire OL and DL after 5 years has been almost "Cleveland Browns bad." And the Gregg Williams decision was inexcusable (which alone set the franchise back another 2-3 years).

I know I'm doing some major nitpicking here, but overall you did a very nice job of grading, Mr. Kzoo.

- Mr. Gazoo

I think BB was the brains and BP was the heart.

493284[/snapback]

I'll buy that, even considering it's only BB who has succeeded post divorce. This might be one reason why:

Something that struck me was Romeo Crennel's first interview after taking the Brown's job. Asked "after playing for BB and BP, what is the most important thing you'll take from those experiences to your new role as a head coach". I was stunned when Crennel, without any mention of BB and the still hot hardware from the '05 Super Bowl, "Without a doubt it's Coach Parcell's ability to relate to his players, to get the most from each of them every week. I believe it's the most important thing for a head coach who wants to succeed". All I could think was that at least in Crennel's opinion, he figured he was taking that exact strength away from the Pat's organization with him. While it may not have surfaced yet in Cleveland, it would be easy to argue that there's little of it going around in Foxboro these days ;-)

I'll buy that, even considering it's only BB who has succeeded post divorce. This might be one reason why:

Something that struck me was Romeo Crennel's first interview after taking the Brown's job. Asked "after playing for BB and BP, what is the most important thing you'll take from those experiences to your new role as a head coach". I was stunned when Crennel, without any mention of BB and the still hot hardware from the '05 Super Bowl, "Without a doubt it's Coach Parcell's ability to relate to his players, to get the most from each of them every week. I believe it's the most important thing for a head coach who wants to succeed". All I could think was that at least in Crennel's opinion, he figured he was taking that exact strength away from the Pat's organization with him. While it may not have surfaced yet in Cleveland, it would be easy to argue that there's little of it going around in Foxboro these days ;-)

493649[/snapback]

Good point. I think RC and fat Charlie filled the "heart" position for BB.